Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN Fallschirmjager

Article about: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate to OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN. Oberfeldwebel Stoffregen was a Fallschirmjager. He earned the award on the 18th May 1944. I'd appreciate an idea of its

Default Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN Fallschirmjager

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate to OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN.

Oberfeldwebel Stoffregen was a Fallschirmjager. He earned the award on the 18th May 1944. I'd appreciate an idea of its value and how I go about researching his service career. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN Fallschirmjager  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN Fallschirmjager
    P
    Many

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN Fallschirmjager

There are organisations such as WASt that provide details on members of the Wehrmacht (although usually only to next of kin) or maybe there is something in one of the archives in Germany & USA that can help. Or maybe someone has something in their own files about him.
    Stoffregen was officially awarded the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on 1st October 1944.

As to the value, the real value for a formal Deutsche Kreuz in Gold citation is around 900 Euros, but for some reason these have been appearing on the market for up to 2500 Euros (and as such have, not surprisingly, remained unsold). Add into the equation that the he was a paratrooper, but also the soiled condition of the citation and I'd say a realistic price would be around 1200-1400 Euros. I paid 895 Euros for the one in my collection 2 years ago for a Stuka aircrew but prices have slightly gone up since then but it all depends on where you buy it from. Dealers prices are naturally higher then the real value of an item as they factor in a profit margin which can be anything from 35-100% on what they paid for it in the first place.

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold certificate OBERFELDWEBEL WILLY STOFFREGEN Fallschirmjager

Thanks very much for the information. I have his WW2 driving licence, PoW release document and a photo album that covers his early days in the RAD, service in Russia, Italy and later in life, association get togethers. I don't know whether he was a PoW of the Americans or British, but I suppose it is possible to find out and therefore get some information. Any idea how I do this?
    Thanks again.

I'm afraid I have no idea if PoW records still exist or how you would go about accessing them if they do. I'm assuming that as the date of his award for May 1944 it is connected to Monte Cassino so maybe he is mentioned in books about the paratroopers there. Do you know what his FJ unit was?

?

A good idea would be to try one of the Fallscirmjager veteran organisations , here is a link to the Kreta one but is has links to all the others !!

Freundeskreis Kreta Denkmal

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hucks216 / Paul, Thanks again. I think his award was for Monte Cassino, though I don't know for sure. There are several photos in the album of paratroopers in position (I presume it's the unit he belonged to) looking down from the monastry on to the plain. I don't know which regiment he belonged to, but I do have a reference to his commanding officer which should provide the link (documents packed away so I'll retrieve and post shortly). Thanks for the link to the Fallschirmjager veteran association, I'll make enquires and let you know how I get on. Best regards.

You could try posting a question about him in either the Fallschirmjager or Biographical Research section on the Axis History Forum - Axis History Forum • Index page

On the 17/18th May 1944 the German troops were ordered to withdraw from Cassino. The paratroopers of this withdrawal were of the 1 Fallschirmjager Division so it is posible that 'your' soldier was with this division...
    Lexikon der Wehrmacht - Fallschirm-Jger-Division

Very Nice document and possible link to the historic Cassino debacle