Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Displaying Documents. IMPORTANT!

Article about: Well, important to me, lol. I was organizing my documents today and put them in a 'magnetic' photo album. I was unsure if it was the right move, but after talking to Eric, I think it may be

Default Displaying Documents. IMPORTANT!

Well, important to me, lol. I was organizing my documents today and put them in a 'magnetic' photo album. I was unsure if it was the right move, but after talking to Eric, I think it may be bad! I just hate having stuff not in order. I have a few that are in plastic sleeves, and can fit into a binder. I probably should go with that option. Also, what about more sturdy papers like pictures? I just don't wanna ruin these things! Maybe I can return the album.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Displaying Documents.  IMPORTANT!   Displaying Documents.  IMPORTANT!  

Displaying Documents.  IMPORTANT!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Displaying Documents.  IMPORTANT!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Displaying Documents. IMPORTANT!

If you're going to store documents, absolutely make sure that the pages you're putting them in are acid free, or else you could end up down the road with yellowed and crumbling papers. Also, magnetic ones will over some tears time sometimes adhere fairly hard onto the page they are sticking to- almost gluing themselves to them - and can be dangerous trying to ever reopen them. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

About thirtey five years ago many album manufacturers came out with a new product called magnetic pages. These were made from a thick paper stock and coated with glue strips. There was a Mylar plastic covering both sides of this stock and it was claimed that this was a good way to preserve photographs. After being on the market for about fifteen years, conservators recognized that the glue being used had a very high acidic content. So much so, that after only ten to fifteen years in storage, new photographs were starting to show signs of deterioration. The acid was eating through the backs of the photographs and the Mylar was sealing in the acidic fumes causing a deterioration on the image side as well. In addition, some manufacturers were using PVC (Poly-Vinyl Chloride) instead of Mylar. PVC is a plastic that has very poor storage qualities and accelerates deterioration. Although most manufacturers have discontinued making these magnetic pages, there are still some out there that are producing them. There are much better systems available to store your photographs today and many of them make provisions for identifying your photographs.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

GAWD... WHAT was I THINKING?!!!! I removed the docs right after I spoke to you, Eric! I'm gonna return that POS album. I will need to get some plastic pages that fit a binder. Probably ones that autographed pics go in. I hate it when I have a brain poo poo! Thanks for looking out, brosephs!

Make sure the plastic sleeves are also acid free mate or they will cause you grief as well. I have my rare documents in acid free sleeves which are inside a folder. I bought the acid free sleeves from the Royal Western Australian historical society and they recommended that this is the way to store rare and historical documents. I'm sure that you could contact a local museum for advice and maybe where to buy the correct acid free sleeves etc.

Here is a UK based company who do archival quality items:

http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/

But it will give you some ideas as to what you need.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Arrowflle in the UK ( Website Link - Photo Albums, CD albums, DVD albums - Arrowfile protects, organises and presents & memories ) are a dedicated collectors storage company and provide storage sleeves of various sizes for anything from cigarette cards, coins, stamps and right up to A3 sized pieces and various styles of binders and boxes. Here is an image of my Soldbucher/Wehrpasse & Citations collection in their sleeves and binders.

Displaying Documents.  IMPORTANT!

Thank you for the very informative responses gents!

?

Excellent information given gents !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast