Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dose lamanating documents decrease there value ?

Article about: Hi, I'm new here and am an avid collector of German WWII photographs, my question is i have put all of my photos in plastic sleeves and have then sealed them lightly with tape. will this dam

Edeco
    ?

Default Re: Dose lamanating documents decrease there value ?

Hi, I'm new here and am an avid collector of German WWII photographs, my question is i have put all of my photos in plastic sleeves and have then sealed them lightly with tape. will this damage the photos in anyway since the sleeves are acid-free and intended for postcards? Which i also collect

2. # ADS

Never ever laminate anything,it is an irreversible process . Lamination uses glue to keep the two sides together thus ruining the ob jest.there are many,many way's to protect paper with acid free plastic protective pockets.

Never bring tape within thirty feet of any obsect that you are trying to protect,nine times out of ten what ever you are doing the glue will leap out and stick on ehatever you are trying to protect.

?

Quote by Edeco View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and am an avid collector of German WWII photographs, my question is i have put all of my photos in plastic sleeves and have then sealed them lightly with tape. will this damage the photos in anyway since the sleeves are acid-free and intended for postcards? Which i also collect
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Personally I would just put the photos in the sleeves and leave them unsealed. As long as the sleeves are kept in the correct envionment, ie, dry, dark, dust free there shouldn't be too much problem. I would keep any form of tape away from my photos, I've heard the glue/chemicals etc in the tape may cause yellowing of the images over time. I've no idea if this is true but it's enough reason for me not to use tape. Obviously sticking tape to the photos (or any documents) is a very big no!
    I keep my photos in albums and they're fine in every way, held flat, clean and dry.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Edeco
    ?

Thanks for the advice Adrian, well they are currently kept in a new photo album, when i mean sealed i mean the tape isn't in contact with the photograph, just with the plastic of the sleeve. So then i should just open them all back up and leave them like that so they can breathe? Oh and I have a propaganda Photo-postcard from 1933, it's part of a series, it has soldiers saluting and the Italian Korporationminister in the center with an SA Man and some SA and Wehrmacht guards behind them

?

Quote by Edeco View Post
    So then i should just open them all back up and leave them like that so they can breathe?
    That's exactly what I would do. The glue and chemicals in the tape will cause the yellowing apparently just by being in proximity. So just to be on the safe side I would never use tape near or on my photos and documents for this reason.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2