Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet

Article about: This might not be the correct forum for this, and if so can a mod please move to the correct section, thanks. Picked this up today in an Amsterdam antiques market. The pictures say more than

Default Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet

This might not be the correct forum for this, and if so can a mod please move to the correct section, thanks.

Picked this up today in an Amsterdam antiques market. The pictures say more than I can and I assume it's anti-German, though I have not translated it yet, as that will take me a long time.

Regards,

Jerry

PS its come out in the wrong order!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet   Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet  

Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet   Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet  

Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet

Hi Jerry, nice item. I have seen one before in one of the museums in Holland, maybe the 40-45 or Overloon.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jerry, nice item. I have seen one before in one of the museums in Holland, maybe the 40-45 or Overloon.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade, I am very pleased with it, it goes well with my small collection of 'Dutch' items. A few of my other related items collected since living in the Nederlands

I've seen a similar one in the resistance museum in Amsterdam.

Regards,

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet   Dutch Cartoon propaganda booklet  

Last edited by Jerry B; 05-30-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have translated parts of it, and it is a resistance motivated item, called 'The fool and the wise during the Seyss', with an example of each type of behavior pictured in pairs on the pages.
    Below is copied from Wikipedia, which details who Seyss-Inquart was and his role in the Nederlands during WWII. He was known to the Dutch as SIX and A QUARTER, as his name sounds like the Dutch for that number.

Regards,

Jerry

Following the capitulation of the Low Countries Seyss-Inquart was appointed Reichskommissar for the Occupied Netherlands in May 1940, charged with directing the civil administration, with creating close economic collaboration with Germany and with defending the interests of the Reich. He supported the Dutch NSB and allowed them to create a paramilitary Landwacht, which acted as an auxiliary police force. Other political parties were banned in late 1941 and many former government officials were imprisoned at Sint-Michielsgestel. The administration of the country was controlled by Seyss-Inquart himself and he answered directly to Hitler[3] . He oversaw the politicization of cultural groups "right down to the chessplayers' club" through the Nederlandsche Kultuurkamer and set up a number of other politicised associations.
    He introduced measures to combat resistance and when a widespread strike took place in Amsterdam, Arnhem and Hilversum in May 1943 special summary court-martial procedures were brought in and a collective fine of 18 million guilders was imposed. Up until the liberation Seyss-Inquart condoned the execution of around 800 people, although some reports put this total at over 1,500, including the execution of people under the so-called "Hostage Law", the death of political prisoners who were close to being liberated, the Putten incident, and the reprisal execution of 117 Dutchmen for the attack on SS and Police Leader Hanns Albin Rauter. From July 1944 the majority of Seyss-Inquart's powers were transferred to the military commander in the Netherlands and the Gestapo, though he remained a figure to be reckoned with.
    There were two small concentration camps in the Netherlands – KZ Herzogenbusch near Vught, Kamp Amersfoort near Amersfoort, and a "Jewish assembly camp" at (camp) Westerbork; there were a number of other camps variously controlled by the military, the police, the SS or Seyss-lnquart's administration. These included a "voluntary labour recruitment" camp at Ommen (Camp Erika). In total around 530,000 Dutch civilians forcibly worked for the Germans, of whom 250,000 were sent to factories in Germany. There was an unsuccessful attempt by Seyss-Inquart to send only workers aged 21 to 23 to Germany, and he refused demands in 1944 for a further 250,000 Dutch workers and in that year sent only 12,000 people.
    Seyss-Inquart was an unwavering anti-Semite: within a few months of his arrival in the Netherlands, he took measures to remove Jews from government, the press and leading positions in industry. Anti-Jewish measures intensified from 1941: approximately 140,000 Jews were registered, a 'ghetto' was created in Amsterdam and a transit camp was set up at Westerbork. Subsequently, in February 1941, 600 Jews were sent to Buchenwald and Mauthausen concentration camps. Later, the Dutch Jews were sent to Auschwitz. As Allied forces approached in September 1944, the remaining Jews at Westerbork were removed to Theresienstadt. Of 140,000 registered, only 30,000 Dutch Jews survived the war.
    When Hitler committed suicide in April 1945, Seyss-Inquart declared the setting-up of a new German government under Admiral Karl Dönitz, in which he was to act as the new Foreign Minister, replacing Joachim von Ribbentrop, who had long since lost Hitler's favour. It was a tribute to the high regard Hitler felt for his Austrian comrade, at a time when he was rapidly disowning or being abandoned by so many of the other key lieutenants of his Third Reich. Unsurprisingly, at such a late stage in the war, Seyss-Inquart failed to achieve anything in his new office, and was captured shortly before the end of hostilities. The Dönitz 'government' lasted no more than 20 days.
    When the Allies advanced into the Netherlands in late 1944, the Nazi regime had attempted to enact a scorched earth policy, and some docks and harbours were destroyed. Seyss-Inquart, however, was in agreement with Armaments Minister Albert Speer over the futility of such actions, and with the open connivance of many military commanders, they greatly limited the implementation of the scorched earth orders.[2] At the very end of the so-called "hunger winter", in April 1945, Seyss-Inquart was with difficulty persuaded by the Allies to allow airplanes to drop food for the hungry people of the occupied northwest of the country. Although he knew the war was lost Seyss-Inquart did not want to surrender. This led general Walter Bedell Smith to snap: "Well, in any case, you are going to be shot". "That leaves me cold", Seyss-Inquart replied. To which Bedell Smith then retorted: "It will". [4]
    He remained Reichskommissar until 7 May 1945, when, after a meeting with Karl Dönitz to confirm his blocking of the scorched earth orders, he was arrested on the Elbe Bridge at Hamburg by two members of the Royal Welch Fusiliers, one of whom was Norman Miller (birth name: Norbert Mueller), a German Jew from Nuremberg who had escaped to Britain at the age of 15 on a kinder transport just before the war and then returned to Germany as part of the British occupation forces. [5] Miller's entire family had been killed at the Jungfernhof Camp in Riga, Latvia in March of 1942.
    Regards,

Jerry

As an addition to this old thread, I recently picked up a Press photograph showing Seyss-inquarts capture by the Royal welch fusiliers

Last edited by Jerry B; 11-03-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks to whomever moved this for me.
    Regards,

Jerry