Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

English or German Flying Maps

Article about: Hi Ben, yeah i see what your saying, but again why waterproofed ?, its relatively dry on board aircraft and i would think they would try to avoid a water born landing, so what would be the p

?

Default Re: English or German Flying Maps

Hi Ben, yeah i see what your saying, but again why waterproofed ?, its relatively dry on board aircraft and i would think they would try to avoid a water born landing, so what would be the point of the coating, unless the maps were used on an aircraft used to landing on water ie flying boats, now thats a possibility!
    i believe that the RAF did shoot down a number of these , Dorniers i think , the large 4 engine jobs. Just checked they were the Blohm & Voss Bv 222 Wiking from 1941

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement English or German Flying Maps
    P
    Many

Dave, I wonder if it was to protect the maps from condensation/clouds etc? The old aircraft were probably not as well ventilated and heated as modern ones? Do you think that is a possibility why?
    Ben

?

Ben, yes thats a possible reason, but the other thing is the size and the fact that there rolled, there wasnt much room in aircraft of that era therefore space would have been restrictive therefore i would assume they had to come from a much larger aircraft than a Heinkel , the sea plane or poss a condor would make sense,if only you could gain some more info on the previous owner, ie squadron, flight log and where stationed etc, it might help to answer our queries.

If I may offer a professional aviator's opinion.....?

Modern aviation maps are also similarly coated. This is for several reasons:

1. More resistant to wear
    2. Less likely to tear
    3. Easier to mark with chinagraph pencil (thus not needing to rub out regular pencil, which causes damage and leaves traces).

I would suggest that this is the reason why these maps were manufactured this way, rather than a nautical connection. I would also think that they were part of a navigator's set, contained in a folder rather than rolled up as they are now - it's very difficult to plot a route on a rolled up map!

Incidentally the "Nur fur den Dienstgebrauch" translates as "For Official Use Only" - so not civil tourist-type maps.

These are fascinating items ! I would go for the Heinkel 111 option

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Ben, if you post as much information that you can possibly think of about Mr Mycroft, I may be able to help with more information. Do you have any initials, christian names, street address, etc. ANY info may help.

?

Thanks for that info Skypilot, and yes i agree but would they be this size and in number, also there is a map which shows the geograhy of the Shetland Ilses which i would assume belongs to an aircraft that has a greater flying endurance that the normal bombers had at that time, but it is a interesting thread that unless we can find an old luftwaffe bomber pilot or someone who can say with a greater experience of this type of map and the aircraft that used them it remains a puzzle which i hope can be solved as this will be good reference material for the future

Quote by skypilot View Post
    If I may offer a professional aviator's opinion.....?

Modern aviation maps are also similarly coated. This is for several reasons:

1. More resistant to wear
    2. Less likely to tear
    3. Easier to mark with chinagraph pencil (thus not needing to rub out regular pencil, which causes damage and leaves traces).

I would suggest that this is the reason why these maps were manufactured this way, rather than a nautical connection. I would also think that they were part of a navigator's set, contained in a folder rather than rolled up as they are now - it's very difficult to plot a route on a rolled up map!

Incidentally the "Nur fur den Dienstgebrauch" translates as "For Official Use Only" - so not civil tourist-type maps.
    The 'waxed' coating would allow you to plot your route on them and wipe them clean each time ready to reuse as many time as needed, IMO. I have some similar maps, though not waxed.

Jerry

Guys at the weekend when it is light I will take more pictures and I will try and find out more about Mr Mycroft, maybe I can trace him and maybe find his service record? many thanks for the input guys
    Ben

Quote by skypilot View Post
    Ben, if you post as much information that you can possibly think of about Mr Mycroft, I may be able to help with more information. Do you have any initials, christian names, street address, etc. ANY info may help.
    Still trying to get a name, first name probably Peter or Michael but I am still looking

He used to live 26 Kennings Street in Clay Cross, Chesterfield Derbyshire
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast