Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

fake German passport 1939...

Article about: Hello, Was wondering if this riddle may be solved... The research I have done on these old 1940's copies of a German issued passport, suggests that the actual passport was a fake: there is n

Quote by StefanM View Post
    If they were part of a NKVD file copy of a passport would each print not carry a NKVD stamp and file reference number in order for officials to keep track of the file contents? The annotation on the back of one of the postcards appears to be the Polish language "NWKD"?
    This is a very good point, though I am not familiar with how things where done back then. The paper used to print the images seems to be German and not Russian, unless they used what they found in Lwow? if according to the destimony at Yad Vashem he died in the USSR, then the account of it "being found" in Lwow NKVD files sounds logical: files where left in 1941 but the person deported east...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement fake German passport 1939...
    P
    Many

The NKVD executed rather than deported when they evacuated Lwow ahead of the German advance...and they executed thousands.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

True.
    But the testimony from a relative in 1957, submitted to Yad Vashem, states he was murdered in the USSR in 1945, maybe a gulag camp?

Your previous post regarding information from Yad Vashem said Dux " went missing in Russia at the end of the war" rather than he was murdered in Russia in 1945.

Have you tried contacting "Karta" and "Memorial" organisations as they both have huge datasets of Soviet prisoners.

Do we know what was the occupation of Dux? This might explain why he might be have been deported to a soviet camp but not why his NKVD files would not also have accompanied him but instead were left in Lwow. The choice of postcard prints rather than normal photo-paper is also curious.

He was a baker, or so it states both in his passport, if I am not wrong, and by his relative's testimonial submitted to Yad Vashem nearly 60 years ago. There they note that he 'died' in the USSR, 1945. I would presume that the relative, named David Brukner or Brokner, would have got the info via the red cross or via information given by relatives or friends who got account of his end and managed to get back to occupied Germany or Austria after the war and send the family a report. But this is guessing. This is how, for example, some of my family got information on the 'death' of my mother's uncle and his parents, around mid-end of 1944.

About post-card prints than photo-copy, maybe if these where done in Lwow, they may not have had a better way to copy images of other documents? why copy them images if you had in your hands the original passport? why not keep that instead in the file?

Another last question: does anyone know how to add imges to a Wikipedia article one would like to post or edit an existing one? thanks.

Seems now we know, sadly, what happened to his children: deported to Lublin and perished around 1942.
    Strange though that his passport was copied and ended up in Lwow...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture fake German passport 1939...   fake German passport 1939...  

Quote by huddyhuddy View Post
    He was a baker, or so it states both in his passport, if I am not wrong, and by his relative's testimonial submitted to Yad Vashem nearly 60 years ago. There they note that he 'died' in the USSR, 1945. I would presume that the relative, named David Brukner or Brokner, would have got the info via the red cross or via information given by relatives or friends who got account of his end and managed to get back to occupied Germany or Austria after the war and send the family a report. But this is guessing. This is how, for example, some of my family got information on the 'death' of my mother's uncle and his parents, around mid-end of 1944.
    Some time ago the "Karta" organisation was able to help through a friend find copies of the original NKVD deportation orders for a Jewish doctor and his family from Poland, the deportees apartment contents list made by the NKVD, camp destination order and subsequent release order for the family I was researching so it might still be worth contacting them or the Memorial organisation in Moscow.

I do not think the Soviets would have given out any information to the Red Cross that anyone was "murdered" in the USSR by the NKVD or anyone else for that matter. Maybe the relatives assumed that since Wilhelm Dux went missing in Russia he must have died or been murdered.

I wonder who wrote the polish annotation with "NKWD"? Was it the person you acquired the postcard photos from. It is a puzzle.

Who or when the pencil markings where added, is not clear to me either.

I can make a suggestion: in 1940, those living in eastern Poland, annexed by the Soviets between 1939-1941, where given Soviet passports, used internally, since they were classified as Soviet citizens. In order to be given Soviet papers, could those copies be made for the NKVD files? or copies made and returned to the original holder by the NKVD? maybe they were made by him before living/deported from Germany? what is strange is that his children & wife were deported to Lublin around 1941 while he was separated from them further to the east...

The Germans and Soviets agreed under their Friendship Treaty of 1939 and later revisions to the agreements to swap its own citizens if held in each others annexed territories so I would have expected Wilhelm Dux to have been sent back to German territory rather than being sent further east into the USSR. But I guess as a Jew Wilhelm might have thought it safer to stay or take refuge in the Soviet territories rather than being sent back to German territories as many Jews did.

But it may be one of those cases that forever remains an intriguing puzzle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast