Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Feldpost (translate)?

Article about: I got this feldpost today and i wanted some help translating it, i know it's big but i would REALLY appreciate your effort

Default Feldpost (translate)?

Feldpost (translate)?Feldpost (translate)?Feldpost (translate)?I got this feldpost today and i wanted some help translating it, i know it's big but i would REALLY appreciate your effort
    Last edited by GreekMilitaria; 01-25-2014 at 06:01 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldpost (translate)?
    P
    Many

Its a letter from a convalescent soldier named Karl Stuppy to his girlfriend/fiancée.

It translates as:

"Tübingen, 21st Feb. 43.

My dear Traudel

Got your nice letter on Friday. Dear Traudel; I am sorry that I had raised your hopes so much and that it all went wrong. Everything would have worked out had I not become a member of a totally God-forgotten club some days ago that is known as a training course. However, as long as I am still here, there is still a chance and I will not be sent elsewhere for the time being. Say, if I knew that I will be with the company for the whole week, I would definitely be at Ramstein on Sunday. However, if things go on with me like that for another 2 days, I will be in the military hospital in 3 days. Then you could visit me again; but it would be better if it doesn't come to that, for I think that I have been there for long enough. See, that is how it goes; all the time I had believed that I was K.V.*) again, but the last few days have shown me that I am not yet at that point again. For me, there can be no talk of being able to run. Say, if I came to Sulzbach, that would be alright; but I will keep myself
    [...] here at Tübingen for as long as possible. Maybe things will improve by themselves. Say, Traudl, if I look out the window today, I always think about how nice it would two go on a little walk for two; but the way things are, one sits here and can only look stupid. Traudel, today is the last Sunday in February. Do you remember what had happened on that day exactly one year ago? I think I don't need to tell you. Well, Traudel; I will come to an end now and I promise you that you will not have to wait that long for the next letter.
    Your loving Karl greets you and kisses you cordially
    ."

Sorry about the blanks, but a few bits of text on the second page are not really legible in your photograph. With letters, it is much preferrable to scan them on a flatbed scanner rather than photograph them.

EDIT: After the scans were posted, the aforementioned blanks on page 2 could be filled in. (I retained the above comment so that post #4 is understandable.)

*) K.V. = Kriegsverwendungsfähig [= fit for war service], the highest fitness classification issued in military examinations, meaning the examined man was fit for active military service to include field service in combat formations.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 01-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Thank you !!! I'm really happy that it is translated !!!!!
    So he was injured right?
    was he fat? :P
    side note after looking at the calender (21/2/1943 wasn't the last Sunday of Febr :P )

Sorry i thought that scanning them was not a good idea here are the scans

Feldpost (translate)?Feldpost (translate)?

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    side note after looking at the calender (21/2/1943 wasn't the last Sunday of Febr :P )
    I hadn't even noticed that, but of course it could not possibly be! Sue enough, 21st Feb. 1943 was a Sunday, but the second-to-last one, obviously. Still, that is what the man wrote...

So he was injured right?
    He was undergoing medical treatment, but whether he suffered from war wounds, injuries from a duty-related accident or even some other illness, we will never know.

was he fat? :P
    Huh?!?

ahhahah sorry that was very random hahhaha i didn't undestood what you meant with KV

i uploaded 2 scans

ahhahah sorry that was very random hahhaha i didn't undestood what you meant with KV
    I see.

"Fit" is not simply meant to be taken as "sporty" or something, but refers to the general physical capabilities/fitness with respect to military service and under consideration of all relevant health aspects. (including eyesight, hearing, height, weight, age, physical impairments, chronic health conditions etc. etc.) The categories were:

1. k.v. = Kriegsverwendungsfähig [fit for war service]
    2. g.v.F. = garnisonsverwendungsfähig Feld [fit for garrison duty in the field]
    3. g.v.H. = garnisonsverwendungsfähig Heimat [fit for garrison duty in the home area]
    4. a.v. = arbeitsverwendungsfähig [fit for work]
    5. z.u. = zeitlich untauglich [temporarily unfit]
    6. w.u. = wehruntauglich [unfit for military service]

Late in the war, the system was simplified: The categories "g.v.F." and "g.v.H." were abolished and collectively replaced by the new category "bed.k.v." = bedingt kriegsverwendungsfähig [conditionally fit for war service]

So KV was the best of these 6?

So KV was the best of these 6?
    Yes.