Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Feldpost Translation Help - EK1?

Article about: Please can you help with translating a reference to an EK1 in this Feldpost letter? The writer was serving with 1/Artillerie Regt 5 - SS Wiking Division and was awarded his EK1 on 20th Augus

Default Feldpost Translation Help - EK1?

Please can you help with translating a reference to an EK1 in this Feldpost letter?
    The writer was serving with 1/Artillerie Regt 5 - SS Wiking Division and was awarded his EK1 on 20th August 1943. Thanks again for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldpost Translation Help - EK1?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldpost Translation Help - EK1?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Feldpost Translation Help - EK1?

Sorry, I haven't got time for a translation right now. Maybe tomorrow....if someone else feels up to it until then....go ahead.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldpost Translation Help - EK1?  

Hi Lysya... thanks for your help with the letter. Amazing work! The sender seems to indicate that he has been awarded the EK1, which is what I hoped it did. I'm curious to know if you find the handwriting easy or hard to translate???

Best wishes

Tony

?

".....we exchanged our emplacement in the woods with a position out in the fields at another section of the front. The command post and my quarters are located shortly behind the artillery positions. Usually I'm out in the field all day. The regiment's doctor and our troop doctor of the reconnaissance detachment (Aufklärungsabteilung) are stationed in the same place, therefore social life comes into its own.
    The bestowal of the EK on the day before yesterday came as a suprise to me. I was lying underneath my appletree as usual when a call from the command post arrived. I was ordered to report to the commander. Because I couldn't imagine what was going on, I believed it to be a joke and didn't concern myself with it. Since I was invited to dinner by the regiment's doctor I started dressing as a second call arrived asking about my delay and ordering me to report at once. Now realization began to dawn on me as I already explained to you yesterday. I only found out belatedly that I have been suggested for the EK1 since April but due to ........... the handout of the award couldn't be carried out until now. I'm just as happy about this now as I would have been in April.
    Now back to your lovely letter ......"

This handwriting is really awful and therfore hard to read. I feel sorry for the recipient!

Thanks for the translation. Yes the writing is awful, and I can't read German. Thankfully I can pick out random words, like "EK1" I have 40 letters, so its a chance thing which ones I post. But...many many thanks for your time Lys

?

very cool, thanks for sharing! i love this stuff..like looking back in time.

I never get bored of this type of research