Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Friesch to Klara: 7th May 1942

Article about: Hello folks. Sorry for the bombardment of feldpost in recent days. The seller I've acquired these from continues to list new items regularly, and I've been busy dredging the listings in an e

Default Friesch to Klara: 7th May 1942

Hello folks.

Sorry for the bombardment of feldpost in recent days. The seller I've acquired these from continues to list new items regularly, and I've been busy dredging the listings in an effort to keep this particular feldpost grouping together. Once I'm confident I have them all, I'll work the soldier's story-via-correspondence into a single document and store it with the letters, along with the individual translations. That way, the inheritors of my collection won't need to speak German or read Sütterlin to enjoy the history.

To the letter itself. In this instance, Friesch had very little to say. The envelope contains a single piece of paper, of which only half of one side is filled in. This envelope style is consistent with others I have from the previous year, leading me to believe they are all 'field correspondence,' sent by Friesch during active service. This would certainly explain the brief nature of the content in this one.

* As I speak, I have four other letters on my eBay 'watch list.' It seems the seller has a great many of Friesch's correspondence, and I'm contemplating messaging them and seeing if I can acquire them all as a single lot. In the meantime, I'll post 'em as I get 'em. Apologies for being such a nuisance in this regard. *

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Friesch to Klara: 7th May 1942   Friesch to Klara: 7th May 1942  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Friesch to Klara: 7th May 1942
    P
    Many

It says:

"7 May 1942.

Dear Mrs. Häckh!

I shall be going on the road again. This means that I have to part with the greetings sent from home for a long time. I will immediately let you know my new address as soon as I have arrived there.

Give my greetings to your dear ones, especially Gertrud.

Cordial greetings to you as well
    from your
    Friesch

I thank you for your kind letter, which has reached me today
    ."

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It says:

"7 May 1942.

Dear Mrs. Häckh!

I shall be going on the road again. This means that I have to part with the greetings sent from home for a long time. I will immediately let you know my new address as soon as I have arrived there.

Give my greetings to your dear ones, especially Gertrud.

Cordial greetings to you as well
    from your
    Friesch

I thank you for your kind letter, which has reached me today
    ."
    Confirms what I'd guessed.
    Thank you for continuing to translate these for me. Is there a method for donating to the forum independent of the Gold Club? I feel I owe this community a great deal for being so helpful, more than a simple thanks can convey.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Thank you for continuing to translate these for me. Is there a method for donating to the forum independent of the Gold Club? I feel I owe this community a great deal for being so helpful, more than a simple thanks can convey.
    Sure: Just use the "Donate to support the forum" link near the top of the page. By the way, I'm sure I don't just speak for myself if I say that your sense of community spirit is greatly appreciated.

?

Well said. Makes for a refreshing change...

B.B, if you do choose to try and pick up the remaining correspondence, best of luck! Always good to keep these things together whenever possible.

Quote by CARL View Post
    Well said. Makes for a refreshing change...

B.B, if you do choose to try and pick up the remaining correspondence, best of luck! Always good to keep these things together whenever possible.
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Andreas. Next payday, I'll throw some of my militaria budget in the direction of the forum.

I have a great deal of enthusiasm for this community simply because I feel so at home here. This hobby is very much a niche one, and nowhere in my social or working life can I discuss these things in depth as much as I can here. For the same reason the War and Peace Revival is the highlight of my year; I feel that I'm among kindred spirits, and I feel more comfortable than I can be anywhere else.

Rest assured, Carl, I'll be picking up as much of the correspondence as I can. There's a lot of it, and I'm in for a fight for some of them, but I'm utterly determined to keep these letters together. They were part of a soldier's life, and I'd sooner spend more than market value to keep them as a group than let them be split apart and drift into other collections, never to be seen or recovered again.
    It amazes me, honestly, how often groups of items are put up for sale by dealers or independent sellers as individual items. Less a sense of historical preservation, more that old capitalist adage of 'turning a buck.'

B.B.