Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hand to hand combat from Crete!

Article about: Finaly i got the story behind this legendary photo! A unique photo taken by British liaison with ELAS [communist Greek resistance group] John Emberson, who was following ELAS operations. The

Default Hand to hand combat from Crete!

Finaly i got the story behind this legendary photo!

A unique photo taken by British liaison with ELAS [communist Greek resistance group] John Emberson, who was following ELAS operations. The scene took place in Vromonero by Krousonas on July 14 1944. Michael Metaxakis, leader of the ELAS squad describes:
    "we fall on a German ambush. We were so close we wound up struggling hand to hand. We couldn't fire our guns. We were fighting to get the other down and kill him. As I was struggling with one German, the other turns to kill me, when another guerilla jumps, rides him and stabs him. I'm safe and I finish off the German. I stab him, sfap, really quick."
    Metaxakis is the black clad partisan in the middle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hand to hand combat from Crete!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hand to hand combat from Crete!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hand to hand combat from Crete!

''Crosses many crosses, the Germans paid dearly for freedom Cretan land who they wanted to enslave'' [a part of a poem ]

Thanks for the photos mate.If you have more i will glad to see them!!

AIF
    ?

Are you sure this is a real photo? It kind of looks staged to me...

where did you find the photo?very interesting

It looks to me like it may be a still from the Dirk Bogarde movie "Ill Met By Moonlight" about the abduction on Crete of German General Kreipe by Major Patrick Leigh Fermor and Greek members of SOE. But I may well be wrong.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

AIF
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    It looks to me like it may be a still from the Dirk Bogarde movie "Ill Met By Moonlight" about the abduction on Crete of German General Kreipe by Major Patrick Leigh Fermor and Greek members of SOE. But I may well be wrong.
    It could well be, although It has been a few years since i have seen it, from memory It was a pretty good movie for something made in that era

In 1944 they had the35 helmet with insignias ? I never saw such picture, when it's battle you don't think to photos.

?

Could it be commando type training? Using fellow soldiers dressed in German uniforms!

We are in july without the summer uniform, I think the picture was made after.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast