Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone seen this type of death card before? (Ww2 german)

Article about: It's my GDD's death card. He was in the Skanderbeg Division. Was this a rare type of death card? I've never seen one like this before.

?

Default Has anyone seen this type of death card before? (Ww2 german)

Has anyone seen this type of death card before? (Ww2 german) It's my GDD's death card. He was in the Skanderbeg Division. Was this a rare type of death card? I've never seen one like this before.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Has anyone seen this type of death card before? (Ww2 german)
    P
    Many

Its not a death card really it is more a injury/death documentation from 1947 recording his death. I am away so i cant blow the images up to read most of it, but still a very interesting document.

?

Actually Morris, my grandma said this was sent in October, 1944.

Interesting then it has dates referring it to December 1947 and 1947 in general....

It would have been post war as Austria had reverted back to the Schilling from the Reichsmark!...

I was about to mention that GH.

?

I know now, it was sent back with his ss dagger. It must have been lost in the flood,along with other stuff. This is what she thought was the original death card.

I believe if this is like a few of the West German ones i have seen it is for the national records, and Innsbruck would still be in the allied zone of Austrian occupation during that time as well.

?

Thanks for the confirmation Morris, I appreciate it greatly.

As has been said above, it's not a death card. This is a legal document issued by the Innsbruck local court to officially pronounce your great-grandfather dead.

With his being killed in action, no official death certificate had been issued by the civilian authorities initially and the court's decision made more than three years after the fact was based on military documentation proving his being KIA.

The document could not have been sent in 1944, as it was only issued in 1947. There is no doubt whatsoever about that: The year appears twice - in the date and the file reference - the state seal is the post-war Austrian one etc. In fact, the court had only issued this document upon an application actively submitted by the widow Olga Kaslinger. (It says so.)

Given that countless soldiers had been MIA in the war and only declared dead much later, it is safe to say that this not a rare kind of document.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast