Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help! Can anyone translate this German letter

Article about: Hi everyone.. Can anyone translate this German letter for me please. I was told it was from a paratrooper stationed in France in 1940 but that's all I know. I will make a donation to the for

?

Default Help! Can anyone translate this German letter

Hi everyone.. Can anyone translate this German letter for me please. I was told it was from a paratrooper stationed in France in 1940 but that's all I know. I will make a donation to the forum if anyone can help.
    I apologise in advance for the bad photography skills.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! Can anyone translate this German letter   Help! Can anyone translate this German letter  

Help! Can anyone translate this German letter   Help! Can anyone translate this German letter  

Help! Can anyone translate this German letter  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help! Can anyone translate this German letter
    P
    Many

The letter was sent from Stendal in Sachsen-Anhalt by a soldier named Klausgünther Krause to his mother who lived in Mülheim an der Ruhr in North Rhine-Westphalia. Gefreiter Krause served with the staff of the Fallschirmjäger-Ergänzungs-Bataillon der Fliegerdivision 7 [Paratroops Replacament Battalion of Air Division 7].

It translates as:

"Stendal, 13/9/40

My dear mother,

today, I congratulate you most cordially for your special day and with the deepest regrets that I am unable to convey my good wishes in person. But the unusual circumstances of these times prevent me from doing so and "there's got to be something from which to tell there is a war going on", as a worn-out saying goes. Well, you in the west will have thoroughly noticed it already and with that I wish you for your wartime birthday that it may be the last one of those and that we will always be able to celebrate our "Mommy" in the peacefully united circle of our family in the future.

Actually, I wanted to surprise you with a little gift, which was thwarted by the "circumstances of these times" as well. But you will be given it at a later time. I will certainly make sure of that. In my thoughts, I will be with you on your birthday and witness it all, from "Kindeken hat Geburtstag"* to Daddy's festive speech. I will enjoy the "red" champagne in my mind and am already admiring your gift table, which will be richly laden in spite of the grave times. In any case, tell me every detail.

I am still doing quite well right now. I cannot complain about my duty. I have found yet another smashing superior, with whom I get along fabulously and who seems to think very well of me, too. I am going out almost every evening and try to bring as much variety as possible to this monotonous life. For the time being, I will not get away from here anytime soon. But I don't mind that right now, even if it should turn out to last all through the winter. The position will be held, I keep telling myself and, most of all, time passes rapidly in doing so. And should I be granted leave thanks to some "freaky ways", this can be quite a nice place to be, as well. "Reckless" is what you called my last undertaking. I have to tell that this was still a harmless one. I guess when I will be telling stories from my time in the military later on, nobody will be willing to be believe me and many will think I am just shooting my mouth off.
    But, if you got it, flaunt it.

Finally, accept my most heartfelt greetings once again and be very cordially greeted by your son

Klausgünther.
    "

*) "It is the child's birthday", apparently some song or poem.

?

That's awesome. Thank you very much. I wonder if he made it home. I will have to try and do some research on him, if possible.
    Again, thank you, Donation will be made.