Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33

Article about: Well, Ive been researching/translating a bunch of documents from a Feldwebel in Panzer Regiment 33 "Prinz Eugen" (9th Pz. Div.) and I am stuck on something here. The man was killed

?

Default Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33

Well, Ive been researching/translating a bunch of documents from a Feldwebel in Panzer Regiment 33 "Prinz Eugen" (9th Pz. Div.) and I am stuck on something here. The man was killed in action in Russia 1940, and all of his items were sent to his wife. I have already gone through the documents for his death and his 4 year service award/etc etc. Now Ive come upon this one, which to my knowledge (still trying to learn German, and do use an E-translator often), says that Josef was awarded the Bulgarian Order of Bravery 1st Class, which can be found on the wehrpass etc etc.

My question is....does it say he was awarded the order Posthumously, since it was dated 1943?...(he died in 1940)? Most of his other docs were sent to his wife only 2 months after his death.
    Also, was this awarded to many Panzertruppe? I am curious about this Order, because he was only 28 years old when he died. From what Ive read, it seems most were awarded in WW1. Could be wrong, so I was hoping for any info on this specific order and why a Panzertruppe would be awarded it.?
    Thank you VERY much for any help/opinions.

(i have many other docs from him, as well as many others from this Regiment that I have not finished researching, so I may have a couple questions later on too) haha
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33   Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33

It says...:

"Wehrmeldeamt [Roughly "Defense Reporting Office"] Potsdam 2
    Potsdam
    Gardes du Corps-Str. 1-5
    Telephone: Potsdam 4141, 4281
    Extension: 1318
    Department:
    Losses File Reference: By
    Br. No. .... / ...

Mrs.
    Maria Rossmann
    Oberwieschtach* (Upper Palatinate)
    Hindenburgstrasse 28.

Potsdam, 5 July 1943

RE: Addition of battle- and combat descriptions to the Wehrpass of your fallen husband, Feldwebel Josef Rossmann, as well as entry of the Bulgarian Order of Bravery, I. Class, awarded to him posthumously **).

Dear Mrs. Rossmann!

The Wehrmeldeamt is sending you the attached Wehrpass that had been handed over to us for the purpose of making the entries. You will find the relevant entries on pages 26 through 32 of the Wehrpass.

Heil Hitler!

[signed: Perchtel (?)]
    Hauptmann and Head of the Wehrmeldeamt

The above red identification data
    is to be quoted at all times!
    "

**) This appears to be in error; I cannot find an "Oberwieschtach" - which sounds odd, anyway - in the Upper Palatinate (or anywhere else, for that matter). There is, however, an Oberviechtach in the Upper Palatinate. (The familiy name "Rossmann" is still found in the Oberviechtach phone directory, as well.)

*) "nachträglich" does not strictly mean "posthumously"; it means "subsequently, retroactively, post hoc, ex post facto, belatedly" etc. However, in this particular context, the "posthumous" meaning is the likeliest one.

I have no figures on award numbers of this order to German personnel, but Bulgarian awards and decorations were quite commonly awarded to members of the German armed forces. Of course, they were all prohibited from further wear when Bulgaria changed sides in 1944.

Anyway, I don't think that the description as the "Bulgarian Order of Bravery, I. Class" is correct.

As far as I know, the Bulgarian Order of Bravery was only awarded to officers and the class bestowed depended on the recipient's rank.

See here for images of Kurt Meyer wearing the 4th Class (1st Grade) of the Bulgarian Order of Bravery...:
    http://reibert.info/forum/attachment...9&d=1217767142
    ...and here for Walter Staudinger wearing the 3rd Class (1st Grade):
    http://forum.axishistory.com/download/file.php?id=76608

There was, however, an enlisted ranks' equivalent. This was called the Soldiers' Cross for Bravery in War. This had five classes. (1st through 5th Class)

Thus, our Feldwebel Rossmann was probably awarded the 1st Class of the Soldiers' Cross for Bravery.

For a little more info, see here:
    Axis History Forum • View topic - Bulgarian Order of Bravery in War 1st cl.
    Order of Bravery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-15-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Do you mean he died in 1941 in Russia rather then 1940?

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Good question; "killed in action in Russia 1940" doesn't make sense. (Can't believe I didn't notice that detail...!)

Maybe Germany was being extra sneaky that year!

?

Maybe he was a Brandenburger !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    correct, sorry for the typo error.... definitely June of 41' !!

Right HPL, I did indeed know there were different classes for various rank, but was still curious as to what he may have recieved specifically as it does not state specifically what he was awarded other than "1st class". I believe you are correct about the "enlisted ranks Order" tho. I was also stuck on the word "nachtraglich" while translating, which was one of the main reasons I made the thread, as I wanted to know if this was posthumously awarded. Like I said, most of his documents were forwarded to his wife around 2 months after his death, but this one was later. Ive actually found that another document/death certificate was sent in 43' as well, so probably prefectly common for them to be slightly behind in sending, while sorting all of the deaths at that time.
    Thank you for the help and confirming my suspicions Andreas, your input is always appreciated as you already know.
    Here is his death card/certificate/Mourning panflet etc.: (a few of the many docs)
    Also his Service award doc while serving in Panzer Regiment 2.

PS- HPL: you can see on the "Trauer-worte" that you were correct.....they spelled it correctly here: "Oberviechtach". Good call
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33   Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33  

Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33   Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33  

Last edited by Bill T; 08-16-2011 at 12:03 AM.

You're welcome. By the way, the death card also proves that Oberviechtach is indeed correct. (See the printer's name just above the bottom edge.)

?

haha i was just writing that in my "edit" Hpl! haha Thanks a bunch again. So this document was sent from eastern part of Bavaria? is this correct? (upper palatinate)

?

Ohhh wait a minute. I just found another document (among alot) that I believe stated something about the Bulgarian Order again. I will post it, but I have not yet tranbslated it.

from what I can barely read, Im wondering if it is a different award/order ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Document - Pz. Regiment 33  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast