Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with identifying plane and uniform

Article about: Thanks for more info on the plane. I was actually referring to the third picture when asking for awards, but I'm curious as to how you can tell he wasn't a pilot. That might have came out ra

Post Help with identifying plane and uniform

Hi there, I'm wondering what type of plane is pictured here. I thought it was flown by the man in the other picture, who was a family member, but the star design under the wings looks American. I believe he's a private NCO of the Luftwaffe during the time of the picture.

Edit: Now realizing it's an American plane, I think it's a Vought F4U Corsair. The picture was with others belonging to my Austrian/Hungarian relatives, so I'm not sure what an American plane is doing among them.

Help with identifying plane and uniform Help with identifying plane and uniform
    Last edited by Perspectivist; 05-25-2014 at 09:56 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with identifying plane and uniform
    P
    Many

This is another family member of mine. I don't mean to be too much of a bother, but if anyone could tell what rank/role/ribbons he has, that would be great. Thanks.

Help with identifying plane and uniform

I'd be surprised if that was his aircraft as it's an American Corsair.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    ...During the Korean War period.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by KradSpam View Post

Yes, I'd just realized that, quite embarrassing.

A bit disappointing, since now I know I have no reference as to what he flew during the war. It was arranged next to his picture in a photo album, so up until now I had assumed it was his. Dating it as a Korean War era plane is even more confusing. Oh well, thanks guys!

Quote by big ned View Post
    ...During the Korean War period.
    4 bladed prop, well spotted that man.

Ok, what I've gotten so far from the third picture is that he is an infanterie Unteroffizier. I'm still not sure what the ribbons/lanyard mean.

?, 1914-18 Hindenburg Cross of Honor, ?, Sudetenland Medal with Prager Burg device

I believe the first two ribbons are the Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen and the Kriegsverdienstkreuz II Klasse mit Schwertern...AKA the Westwall medal and the War Merit Cross II Class w/swords...can't quite make out the other two....I speculate that the lanyard is for a whistle...
    cheers, Glenn

?

The F4U Corsair tail marking looks like a single letter K. If that is so the bird was based at the US Naval Air Station Olathe, Kansas. That being the case it would be an F4U-4 and the photo would date sometime between 1953 & 1956.
    The photo of the Lw guy is of a Private with No awards of any kind. His is Not a pilot!
    Sarge

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I believe the first two ribbons are the Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen and the Kriegsverdienstkreuz II Klasse mit Schwertern...AKA the Westwall medal and the War Merit Cross II Class w/swords...can't quite make out the other two....I speculate that the lanyard is for a whistle...
    cheers, Glenn
    Wow, thanks for those! I think the last one has a Prager Burg spange attached to it, if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast