Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help with identifying plane and uniform

Article about: Thanks for more info on the plane. I was actually referring to the third picture when asking for awards, but I'm curious as to how you can tell he wasn't a pilot. That might have came out ra

Thanks for more info on the plane. I was actually referring to the third picture when asking for awards, but I'm curious as to how you can tell he wasn't a pilot. That might have came out rather mean sounding, but I'm genuinely intrigued!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with identifying plane and uniform
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Perspectivist View Post
    Thanks for more info on the plane. I was actually referring to the third picture when asking for awards, but I'm curious as to how you can tell he wasn't a pilot. That might have came out rather mean sounding, but I'm genuinely intrigued!
    He is not wearing a pilot`s badge.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Neither of the 2 guys are wearing any type of qualification/awards badges.
    The Heer NCO is the equivelant of a SSG - just went blank and can't name the rank.
    Sarge

?

Unterfeldwebel?

Quote by wood View Post
    Unterfeldwebel?
    Correct. Do allow me to elaborate a little:

Unterfeldwebel was the higher of the two JNCO ranks (the lower one being Unteroffizier).

An NCO in the army or air force did not have to pass through the rank of Unterfeldwebel; it was possible and common to be promoted from Unteroffizier directly to the lowest SNCO rank of Feldwebel, skipping this intermediate rank. Men who were actually promoted to Unterfeldwebel had usually served for a lengthy period of time as an Unteroffizier and shown themselves to be suitable and competent for that job, but were considered unsuitable (or at least not ready) for further career advancement. In most cases, this was a bit of a dead-end rank.

This man was almost certainly a reservist, judging by the absence of any long-service awards despite of his age and WW 1 service (as shown by the ribbon for the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer on his ribbon bar).

The man in the second photograph is a basic-level airman [Flieger] in the air force [Luftwaffe].

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2