Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Uniform in a Wedding Postcard

Article about: Hello all, I hope the summer months have been good for both you and your collections. I was doing some digging the other day and came across this postcard for sale. Any thoughts on what migh

Default Help Identifying Uniform in a Wedding Postcard

Hello all,

I hope the summer months have been good for both you and your collections. I was doing some digging the other day and came across this postcard for sale. Any thoughts on what might be deciphered about the uniform, cuff title, insignia, etc? I had presumed it was an SS uniform however thought I would discuss with minds more knowledgeable than my own on the matter.

Warm wishes to all
    Help Identifying Uniform in a Wedding Postcard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Identifying Uniform in a Wedding Postcard
    P
    Many

Midwest Picker: I looked at all the color uniform plates in the 1937 edition of the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP. I focused on finding a black or dark blue dress uniform, because of the wedding, and one with a white trouser stripe. I also looked for a cuff band. I found a Marine SA dress uniform in blue that had naval style cuff bands, but the man in the photo does not appear to have that type of cuff band. In the SS section, I found a dress uniform that appears to have a white trouser stripe and I found examples of the authorized cuff stripes. My guess is that he was a member of the SS, but his rank was relatively low. Since you have the original photo, you might have better luck than I finding a possible match to each of the 3 identifiable clues. Good luck, Dwight
    Help Identifying Uniform in a Wedding Postcard Help Identifying Uniform in a Wedding Postcard

He's a member of the SS in black service dress; rank is Unterscharführer. White piped trousers were worn for walking out.

To tell his exaxt unit affiliation, we would have to read his right collar patch and cuff title, but the photo isn't clear enough.

(See here for details on the system of cuff titles: Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5 )