Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.

Article about: Hucks/HPL Good observations guys Hey Hucks where did you learn such good German? Nick

Default Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.

Hi Guys'

I have just been given this service book and some medals. I know from the family that he was killed in Russia in 1941, however, that is all they know.

Can anyone have a look for me and see if it says how he died, where, and what unit he was in, or his movements please.

Also, he has three medal ribbons on his photo, however, it came with four medals. Can anyone tell what ribbons they are on his chest please?

Sorry for all the questions but i have never had one before and i do not have a clue.

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.   Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.  

Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.   Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.

The first medal ribbon looks to be for the War Merit Cross With Swords (KvK mit Schwertern) but I'm not sure what the second one is. The third one might be the Westwall Medal. I was going to say the second could be the Eastern Front Medal but then realised that he was dead before the first Russian winter so it can't be that one. Is there anything written on Pages 22 & 23 - these two pages usually list his promotions and what awards he won?

He was killed on 29th August 1941 while serving in the 9 Kompanie of Schützen Regiment 28 which was part of 8 PanzerDivision who were part of Army Group North at the time around Leningrad. It does say on Pg 34 where he was killed but I can't read the handwriting, although it looks to be near Bekovo (Bekowo) judging by the last entry on Pg 33. Maybe another member can help you with that bit. He isn't listed in the Volksbund database unfortunately. He had already been injured in July by schrapnel.

As for his movements - until Feb 1941 he was in Germany. From Feb to March 1941 he was in France. In April 1941 he was advancing & fighting in the Balkans, in the areas of Belgrade and Sarajevo. On the 26th June 1941 he was in Latvia and then advanced through Russia heading towards Leningrad.

Thanks soooooo much.

On page 22 and 23 is something but i cannot make it out so i will scan it and put another photo on if thats OK?

Can you see anything that says how he died? there is other info in the book so i will also scan those pages.

Thank You again for all your help, its much appreciated. I think you may be right about the medals as there is a War Merit Cross with swords, a West Wall medal, a Iron Cross and what appears to be a Reservist LSGC?

Also a wound badge?

Am I right in saying that you got this direct from the family of the soldier? I ask because obviously the photo isn't original to the wehrpass. If you did get it from the family then it is most likely that they put in a spare photo that they had but if it comes from elsewhere it is just as possible that the soldier on the photo isn't the soldier whose wehrpass it originally was. The EK II and the Long Service medals don't match the middle ribbon, and the EK ribbon would be the first one if fixed to a ribbon bar (or placed through a button hole on his tunic) but it is just as possible that he was awarded the Iron Cross after the image was taken. Please feel free to post more pictures.

There is nothing to say how he was killed. It just says 'Gefallen' which means Fallen or Killed In Action.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Am I right in saying that you got this direct from the family of the soldier? I ask because obviously the photo isn't original to the wehrpass. If you did get it from the family then it is most likely that they put in a spare photo that they had but if it comes from elsewhere it is just as possible that the soldier on the photo isn't the soldier whose wehrpass it originally was. The EK II and the Long Service medals don't match the middle ribbon, and the EK ribbon would be the first one if fixed to a ribbon bar (or placed through a button hole on his tunic) but it is just as possible that he was awarded the Iron Cross after the image was taken. Please feel free to post more pictures.

There is nothing to say how he was killed. It just says 'Gefallen' which means Fallen or Killed In Action.
    You are right Hucks, or maybe he was awarded his EK posthumously

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The man in the photograph is not the holder of this Wehrpass.

The second ribbon on the ribbon bar is certainly for the Ostmedaille which was instituted in May 1942. Furthermore, his field blouse has the straight pocket flaps used from 1943 onwards.
    Both are impossible for a man killed in the summer of 1941.

Another observation: The man in the photograph is an Unteroffizier (Corporal). The Wehrpass holder was only called up in December 1940 for basic training with a replacement unit, began actual active service with a field unit in January 1941 and died on 28 August 1941 at nineteen years of age.

Wartime promotions often came quick, but that seems a bit too fast to me.

Hi, yes this did come of the family, however, the medals that came with are not guaranteed to be his as the family know very little and they told me that they were with it when there Gran passed away.

The photo seems to have been there a long time as the paperclip is all rusty, but like you say it could have been replaced many years ago. I have just uploaded another few pics, in case this sheds some light on it???????????

Many thanks guys

A few more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.   Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.  

Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.   Help needed p;ease with this German soldiers service record.  

If the Wehrpass was up to date - and it does look like it was then the photo is definitely of someone else as the wehrpass owner only won one award - Wound Badge In Black which tallies with his wounding in July 1941 - but the soldier in the photo has 3 awards, and is missing the one award that he should be wearing according to the entry in the WP. It might of been in the WP a long time but there have been 66 years since the war ended and I think it was put in there at some point in those 66 years - who he is I have no idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast