Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Himmlers signature

Article about: G'day all, I wondered if you would mind taking a look at this document and giving me your opinions on it. It is being offered by a dealer who has been around since the sixties, I hope the si

KSH
    ?

Default Re: Himmlers signature

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Kenneth, you missed the piece about him being degraded to being a company commander, which for a full colonel is not exactly a sign of high esteem up the chain of command. I assume as a Brigadefuehrer that he had a regimental or battalion command in Wiking or in the staff or wherever. I will let the Waffen SS biography people here instruct me.
    Of course I did, thank you, this is clearly mentioned in the text. I knew I had forgotten something.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Himmlers signature
    P
    Many

Dear Kenneth, no problem. I have been reading military correspondence for a lot longer than you have been alive, and translating takes a ton of work, in fact. Also, Himmler's German is as stilted and archaic as is most of this other stuff. It is hardly clear in the best of times, and it surely is not akin to the German that my friends (all much younger than I, mind you...) speak in the arc from Kopenick via Savigny Platz to the Karl Lueger Platz and the Naschmarkt. In any case, thank you for translating it quickly, which is better than nothing. The other point is who all read it and signed off on it, as well as where the document went in the files. These things you also have to learn to make sense of this kind of object. I.e. the colors of crayon, the stamps, and the abbreviations....

?

Himmlers signatureHimmlers signatureHimmlers signatureHimmlers signatureHimmlers signatureHimmlers signature

Very nice document,
    and thank you Kenneth for translating it,
    Best regards,
    Patrick

KSH
    ?

Dear Kenneth, no problem. I have been reading military correspondence for a lot longer than you have been alive, and translating takes a ton of work, in fact. Also, Himmler's German is as stilted and archaic as is most of this other stuff. It is hardly clear in the best of times, and it surely is not akin to the German that my friends (all much younger than I, mind you...) speak in the arc from Kopenick via Savigny Platz to the Karl Lueger Platz and the Naschmarkt. In any case, thank you for translating it quickly, which is better than nothing. The other point is who all read it and signed off on it, as well as where the document went in the files. These things you also have to learn to make sense of this kind of object. I.e. the colors of crayon, the stamps, and the abbreviations....
    I have corrected my very unsatisfactory summary now - I have no time to translate properly right now. HPL/Andreas can do such things like a machine gun - not quite so with me.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

You did very well. It is really very hard work, and cannot be done well in haste. It is an art.

KSH
    ?

You did very well. It is really very hard work, and cannot be done well in haste. It is an art.
    It sure is - and to be honest I prefer German to stay in German.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

Kenneth, you missed the piece about him being degraded to being a company commander, which for a full colonel is not exactly a sign of high esteem up the chain of command. I assume as a Brigadefuehrer that he had a regimental or battalion command in Wiking or in the staff or wherever. I will let the Waffen SS biography people here instruct me.
    I have looked up Fiedler's career data. He had already held Brigadeführer rank in the SA when he transferred to the Allgemeine SS with the same rank on 1 August 1938.

As was often the case, though, his rank while temporarily serving with the Waffen-SS was considerably lower than his Allgemeine SS rank. According to Mark Yerger's "Allgemeine SS":

"He joined the Waffen-SS as an Obersturmführer d.R. in 1940 with the Polizei-Division and served with 'Wiking' from 1941 to October 1943. Promoted to Hauptsturmführer d.R. on November 9, 1943, he had already returned to police duties and became a Generalmajor der Polizei in 1944."

Well, yes, do I entirely. However, the rule here, for what it is worth, is this is an English language website.
    The other piece is the odd quirk of English as a global language of particular, bloodless and un poetic kind.
    That is, the users' instructions for the 21st century are in English in a manner that bulks no romance and music, at least to me.
    However, if I engage in my German culture thingy here, others who are not multi lingual take offense.
    English is my native language, of course, but German is the language in which I am free to think and experience so many things with a quality that is poorly interpreted here, and which you, Kenneth, will well understand.

Happy new year.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I have looked up Fiedler's career data. He had already held Brigadeführer rank in the SA when he transferred to the Allgemeine SS with the same rank on 1 August 1938.

As was often the case, though, his rank while temporarily serving with the Waffen-SS was considerably lower than his Allgemeine SS rank. According to Mark Yerger's "Allgemeine SS":

"He joined the Waffen-SS as an Obersturmführer d.R. in 1940 with the Polizei-Division and served with 'Wiking' from 1941 to October 1943. Promoted to Hauptsturmführer d.R. on November 9, 1943, he had already returned to police duties and became a Generalmajor der Polizei in 1944."
    thank you. Very useful addendum.

KSH
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post

Do you mean that no demotion took place? The text never explicitly mentions a demotion.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast