Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID Card. Fake Or Not.

Article about: Hello all, i have to say i'm very new to collecting, and i have stumbled upon this ID book from quite a reputable auction house in the Uk, now from research i have already conducted i have f

Question ID Card. Fake Or Not.

Hello all, i have to say i'm very new to collecting, and i have stumbled upon this ID book from quite a reputable auction house in the Uk, now from research i have already conducted i have found there are alot of fakes swimming around from Poland and what not.
    So my questions are to you fine chaps are.
    1) is it fake ?
    2) teach me why it is fake ( noticeable signs ect ect ) ?
    3) possibly a picture or two of the real deal so i can see the difference

Thank you for your time. the pictures are below

Dan

ID Card. Fake Or Not.

ID Card. Fake Or Not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ID Card. Fake Or Not.
    P
    Many

Oh, no, not again... Here we go:

1) Yes.
    2) Everything about it is wrong as it is a fantasy design that bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to any ID document that actually existed.
    3) Impossible as it has no basis in reality (see #2).

Also see:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...lot-id-662790/
    German documents? what are these? fake?
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...swaffe-433418/
    Reichssicherheitshauptamt ID document
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...d-book-671856/
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...d-card-617224/
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...l-fake-598070/

I thought as much, Thank you very much for the info !
    I just wanted more backup on my thought processes. Furthermore i noticed a signature on the little photo itself ( at least i think )

Furthermore i hope you don't mind me asking HPL. obviously these identification documents and such never existed, then what were the usual forms of identification that members of the military would generally use ?

thank you again for the help, like i said from research i presumed it was a fake, but nice to know that i was right, even early on in my studies.

Ive just realised that most of my research actually came from your posts anyway haha, as someone who appreciates WW2 memorabilia, i'm glad there's people like you around to safe guard us newer to the subject

Quote by spodface View Post
    Furthermore i hope you don't mind me asking HPL. obviously these identification documents and such never existed, then what were the usual forms of identification that members of the military would generally use ?
    The two most important military ID documents - and those that every single member of the German armed forces had - were the Wehrpaß [service record book] and the Soldbuch [paybook]. The latter was the actual personal identification document that had to be carried at all times. Have a look around the documents section and you will find plenty of examples for both.

In addition to that, there were of course various specific personal ID documents such as the Wehrmachtführerschein [armed forces drivers' licence], Militärflugzeugführerschein [military aviators' licence], various passes for specific military installations etc.

I would recommend the following reference books for German Identity Documents:

A Collector's Guide to World War II German Wehrpasses and Soldbuchs, by Emilie Caldwell Stewart
    Papers Please! Identity Documents, Permits and Authorizations of the Third Reich, by Ray and Joseph Cowdery
    The Wehrpasses and Soldbuchs of the Wehrmacht (9780982314685): Antonio Scapini, Alberto Gorzanelli, Dietrich Maerz
    German Third Reich Era Documents, Volume 1 Paramilitary and Civilian Organizations, Daniel W. Meinz
    German Third Reich Era Documents, Volume 2 Military Documents, Daniel W. Meinz
    German Third Reich Era Documents, Volume 3 Special Edition, Jeffrey F. Young

There are other reference books on the subject but these have been very helpful when I translate and interpret Soldbuchs and Wehrpasses in my collection..

Smitty

Fascinating, i have heard of the WehrpaB, before and it makes sense about the Soldbuch, those are something i would like to collect, i am guessing there are fakes of these lurking around as well, like everything else.

I will do more research in the forums on your recommendation on these items ! hopefully i will be able to make out the difference between fakes and the genuine items before i part with my money.

Thank you again HPL

- - ------- - -

Sorry Rakkasan, i posted that reply before i saw yours, thank you for the information links, ill be sure to have a good mull over them !

many thanks again !

With wehrpaB and soldbuch documents, they aren't so much commonly fabricated as they are embellished. The book can be original, but some less discerning individuals will pen-in entries and awards to 'spice up' the document and drive up the price tag. Like anything in this hobby, it can be faked, has been faked and will continue to be faked as long as there are profits to be made.

All the best, B.B.

Spodface,

Welcome to the forum and you're welcome.. As with other areas of Third Reich collecting, Soldbuchs and Wehrpasses are also susceptible to being faked and many of them have been. The SS documents are notoriously faked amongst others..

Collecting Soldbuchs, Arbietsbuchs and other documents from the Third Reich period can be a fun and interesting part of the hobby. It provides insight into who the people were and in some cases what happened to them during and after the war..

Smitty

Quote by spodface View Post
    Fascinating, i have heard of the WehrpaB, before and it makes sense about the Soldbuch, those are something i would like to collect, i am guessing there are fakes of these lurking around as well, like everything else.
    Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    With wehrpaB and soldbuch documents, they aren't so much commonly fabricated as they are embellished.
    I don't want to be obnoxious, guys, but please don't use a "B" for an "ß". That's just... weird. It's perfectly OK to use "ss" as a substitute if the "ß" character is unavailable. (Also, since the last spelling reform, it's actually spelled "Pass" anyway.)

Let this gentleman explain it:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast