Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Info about this picture of my Grandfather

Article about: Hi Frayer, thank you! It is my pleasure to try and help people. I enjoy it. Re our LH group :I do all the parade orders in Russian. I try to learn the language. Now we have two members who a

Default Re: Info about this picture

Hi Frayer, thank you! It is my pleasure to try and help people. I enjoy it.

Re our LH group :I do all the parade orders in Russian. I try to learn the language. Now we have two members who are native speakers which is a big help.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Info about this picture of my Grandfather
    P
    Many

Thanks for all your answers.

I'm sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but these are original ones more than 65 years old and my scanner is not the best one.

Here are some more photos:

On the Transporter it says 12../Kw. Tr. Rgt. 616. Does this mean "Kraftwagen Transport Regiment 616" ? What does WH 16 mean ?

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info about this picture of my Grandfather   Info about this picture of my Grandfather  

Does anyone know where Regiment 616 has been beside "Ostfront" ?

From some picture I can see that they have been in France.

There are many photos, but most without any inscription on the back.

It's hard to scan those photos and not all of them are for public view.

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin, going by the registration plates on the trucks, these were impressed civilian vehicles taken into military use. The WH stands for Wehrmacht Heer.

I will see what I can find out about his unit.

Thanks for sharing these.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Iceberg View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Found some old photos of my grandfather and want to know as much as possible about this photo.

I can't ask my grandfather about it, because he died when I was a young boy. He never talked much about WWII, but I'm very interested in his history.

So please, any information you can get from this photo would help me alot.

What I can read on the backside of the photo it says "Auf der Krim im Mai 1943". Is that right ?

Thanks in advance

Martin

I hope this helps, and i love the pics you posted, I love to collect TR period photos, and those are great ones you have there.

"Auf der Krim im Mai 1943"

Translated into ;

In the Crimea in May 1943

Crimea info link for you;
    Crimea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brian

Thank you all for your incredible help you give me to find out more about my grandfather.

I have three thick photobooks all from this time. Even some pictures of burned out cars, airplanes, tanks etc. And also many pictures of civilians in russia & france.

As Ade suggested before I will give the "Wehrmacht Archiv" in Berlin a chance to see if there are any information availabe, but it will take a long time to get those documents.

Chers, Martin

?

Some description of the unit is in the uploaded photo.

Trucks of the Wehrmacht (Lastkraftwagen der Wehrmacht)
    Reinhard Frank (trans. Dr. Edward Force)
    Atglen PA : Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1994
    page 23

It appears that one will need to look for the 12. Kompanie - as the Regiment did not always serve together.

The "Th" prefix of the number plate may be for the Thüringen District.

- Frayer

Quote by Iceberg View Post
    Does anyone know where Regiment 616 has been beside "Ostfront" ?

From some picture I can see that they have been in France.

There are many photos, but most without any inscription on the back.

It's hard to scan those photos and not all of them are for public view.

Thanks

Martin
    Hi Martin!

That's what I found out for now: Kraftwagen Transport Regiment 616 was created in August 26, 1939 in Wehrkreis X and transferred under the command of the 12. Armee, at the time serving as security in the "Westwall" in the Eifel. The Regiment was then transferred to the 6. Armee, which saw action during the Operations in Belgium, the Netherlands and France. From June 26, 1940 the 6th Army was stationed along the Demarcation Line in France till July 1940 and then on the Canal Coast in Normandy until April 1941. The Regiment was at the time transferred to the 2. Armee though, which returned to Germany till 1941. During this year, it was again transferred under the command of the 1. Panzerarmee, active in the Eastern Front till the end of the war.

On January 1, 1943, Kraftwagen Transport Regiment 616 attached to the Kraftfahr Abteilung 616. 6 Companies of that Abteilung created the Kraftfahr Abteilung 906 on August 18, 1943.

These are the results regarding the large formations of which your grandfather's Regiment was part at the time and the respective places in which they were stationed. To get to the Battallion or Company level and the exact places each time, some more thorough research will be needed.

Regards, Giorgos

Thanks Giorgos for the Info. In the meantime I found out some things you mentioned in your post myself, but I'm very thankful for every little bit of information I can get about my grandfather.

Cheers

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2