MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Info on this stunning image

Article about: Thanks guys !! I knew you would come up with the answers Nick

Default Re: Info on this stunning image

Thanks guys !! I knew you would come up with the answers

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Info on this stunning image
    P
    Many

Bombing of the USS Alabama, according to google??

Tom

Wings of Valor - The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell
    Scroll down to the image as in post 1

It is the USS Alabama being bombed by a Martin NBS-1 in August 1921. The photo shows the ship taking a direct hit from a phosphorus bomb on the crows nest. The vessel was eventually sunk by hits to the bow and further aft by specially designed 'demolition' bombs. The Navy's own tests had been inconclusive, and were widely seen as being deliberately fudged by them as they had said previously stated that capital ships could not be sunk by aerial bombing. Mitchell proved them wrong, and thereafter the knives were out for him, but that's another story....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cheers Ned !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by big ned View Post
    capital ships could not be sunk by aerial bombing.
    Hmmm, some self-serving, near-sighted geniuses in that navy at the time!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Hmmm, some self-serving, near-sighted geniuses in that navy at the time!
    The antipathy between the Army AF and the Navy continued for many years after Mitchell proved that airpower made battleships vulnerable. Still the U.S. Navy would disagree right up until 1941 when they printed the programme for the Army-Navy football game on Nov. 29, 1941 included a picture of the battleship Arizona. "It is significant that despite the claims of air enthusiasts no battleship has yet been sunk by bombs," the caption said. The programme did not say what the Navy thought had happened off the Virginia Capes in 1921.

Eight days later, Japanese aircraft bombed and sank Arizona at its moorings at Pearl Harbor.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The antipathy between the Army AF and the Navy continued for many years after Mitchell proved that airpower made battleships vulnerable. Still the U.S. Navy would disagree right up until 1941 when they printed the programme for the Army-Navy football game on Nov. 29, 1941 included a picture of the battleship Arizona. "It is significant that despite the claims of air enthusiasts no battleship has yet been sunk by bombs," the caption said. The programme did not say what the Navy thought had happened off the Virginia Capes in 1921.

Eight days later, Japanese aircraft bombed and sank Arizona at its moorings at Pearl Harbor.

Regards, Ned.
    I think that proved the point....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2