Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting vet bring back group

Article about: A few weeks ago I bought this cool group of vet bring back items from a friend of mine who runs a booth at the local antique store. Over the years hes sold me some really cool stuff, and I m

Default Interesting vet bring back group

A few weeks ago I bought this cool group of vet bring back items from a friend of mine who runs a booth at the local antique store. Over the years hes sold me some really cool stuff, and I make a point to check his booth frequently. I was told this group of items was brought in by a WW2 vets nephew, and that he found them while cleaning out his uncles house. Some of the pieces are not too crazy, but the two German items in the group definitely caught my attention. They caught my attention because I was surprised a vet would bother bringing pieces like these back. From what I can tell one item is a vehicle document case, and the other is a German drivers daily planner. The document case is in good condition, and has a Wehrmacht license plate number written on it. The daily planner is dated 1939, and has it some cool pages that tell you how to identify various license plates and road signs. The planner also has some writing in it from the original German owner. My friend that sold me this group gave me a cool little bonus piece. Apparently this vet was a wood carver, and he carved a letter opener for his wife out of a piece of wood. Its dated 1953 so its not WW2, but still a cool piece to have from the vet. Let me know what you think about this group!

Best regards- Jarret

Interesting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back groupInteresting vet bring back group

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting vet bring back group
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

A nice piece of history Jarret. These personal items really "bring it home" in a way. I really like the case.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting items. Thanks for sharing. Nice grouping.
    John

Nice lot the folder has a German Vehicle reg number on it so would be interesting if you can track it back to which vehicle it came from

?

A very cool piece!

I tried finding sources to help with identification. First one was this website
    WWIIdaybyday.com
    Unfortunately your 7 digit plate came around after that list. So it must be from a vehicle made or captured during the war and not prewar.

I also found this old forum thread discussing license plate identification. Vehicles with similar numbers to your one appear around 1943-44
    Way to decipher Wehrmacht license plates? - Missing-Lynx

So what we have is a Wehrmacht-Heer vehicle that was in use around 43-45. Maybe you can search through the book and see if the original writer references his vehicle. Im sure you could get it translated here on the forum.

And thanks for posting this as this has been a fun challenge to find information!

Nice little group, can't read the German but perhaps the owner was a driver and made notes of weight of items stowed on the vehicle? A pity some of the pages are missing so no way to ID the owner.

I have a Tages Merkbuch that was brought back by a US veteran too. He put notes in the back including English translations of German phrases. NH