Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

JagdGeschwader 3 " Udet " at Stalingrad !!

Article about: On my first trip to Stalingrad 12 years ago i was fortunate to meet two German Veterans at breakfast in the Hotel on my first morning Helmut and Fred. Both had served with JG 3 Udet at Stali

?

Default JagdGeschwader 3 " Udet " at Stalingrad !!

On my first trip to Stalingrad 12 years ago i was fortunate to meet two German Veterans at breakfast in the Hotel on my first morning Helmut and Fred. Both had served with JG 3 Udet at Stalingrad as ground crew with the 9 Staffel , III Gruppe which eventually formed the Platzschutzstaffel at Pitomnik.

Both were fortunate to be flown out of the pocket in December 1942 when the the 9 Staffel was withdrawn although Fred was later captured and spent 2 years as a POW at the camp at Be****vka jsut south of Stalingrad !!

I have remained friends with the two of them ever since

Here are some copies of the discharge documents for Fred on leaving both Russian and subsequently British captivity !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture JagdGeschwader 3 " Udet " at Stalingrad !!  
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement JagdGeschwader 3 " Udet " at Stalingrad !!
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: JagdGeschwader 3 " Udet " at Stalingrad !!

The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

If any of our Russian speaking members could translate this document i would be obliged

1st July 1916

?

Luckily Helmut was a keen photographer and took many photos during his service including quite a few from the Stalingrad times !!

Riiterkreuztrager Oberfeldwebel Georg Schentke left and Oberleutnant Viktor Bauer right.

Helmut was the mechanic for Schentke and his BF 109 , Schentke was shot down over North Stalingrad on Christmas day 1942 and Killed in action. Helmut has spent many years returning to Stalingrad to try and locate the remains of his freind and pilot and other Kameraden from JG3.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture JagdGeschwader 3 " Udet " at Stalingrad !!  
    Last edited by Paul D; 11-25-2011 at 05:55 PM.

1st July 1916

some very good history to have survived the pocket is a feat in itself thanks for sharing

Hi Paul, are Helmut and Fred still living?

Do you have any more of Helmuts photos, although if you have I am sure they are already on the forum somewhere!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks guys !! Fred has unfortunately passed away following a stroke , Helmut is still on the go and spends much of his time researching the Stalingrad Battles !!

This is the first time i have posted any of these docs or photos i am fortunate to have his complete photo archive but have never posted any due the problems with plagerism of photos on the net !!

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Thanks guys !! Fred has unfortunately passed away following a stroke , Helmut is still on the go and spends much of his time researching the Stalingrad Battles !!

This is the first time i have posted any of these docs or photos i am fortunate to have his complete photo archive but have never posted any due the problems with plagerism of photos on the net !!
    I can understand that. Its a shame genuine enthusiats like us cant get a glimpse of the world these guys once suffered because of plagerists!

Anyway you are so privileged Paul

Nick

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

[QUOTE=Stickgrenade;417106]I can understand that. Its a shame genuine enthusiats like us cant get a glimpse of the world these guys once suffered because of plagerists!

Nick

Just lucky in some ways Nick , around the same time i began to attend OdR and other vets meetings in Germany , even though my German in those days wasn't great i just thought i've got to meet some of these guys who i've read so much about so just plunged in !! My only regret is that i didn't get involved with meeting German vets a lot earlier !!

1st July 1916

[QUOTE=Paul E;417114]
    Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    I can understand that. Its a shame genuine enthusiats like us cant get a glimpse of the world these guys once suffered because of plagerists!

Nick

Just lucky in some ways Nick , around the same time i began to attend OdR and other vets meetings in Germany , even though my German in those days wasn't great i just thought i've got to meet some of these guys who i've read so much about so just plunged in !! My only regret is that i didn't get involved with meeting German vets a lot earlier !!
    Well at least you have met quite a few and listened to their stories!

By the way, I loved 'Hitlers Vikings'

Nick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast