Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation

Article about: Well after about a week of waiting it finally came! My feldpost dated June 5 1944. The letter itself was written on June 3rd 1944. It's all in German, and with the little German that I know

Default June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation

Well after about a week of waiting it finally came! My feldpost dated June 5 1944. The letter itself was written on June 3rd 1944. It's all in German, and with the little German that I know I found out that it was a love letter and I would love to see what it says this close to the invasion.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation   June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation  

June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation   June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation  

June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation   June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation

(1.3.1942-7.9.1942) Nachrichten-Nahaufklärungs-Kompanie Armee-Nachrichten-Regiment 501,

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) 11. (Nachrichten-Nahaufklärung) Kompanie Armee-Nachrichten-Regiment 501,

(8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 4.12.1943 Nachrichten-Aufklärungs-Kompanie 718,

am 17.12.1943 Nachrichten-Aufklärungs-Kompanie
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The letter translates as:

"3 June 44

21 - replied to with 21 on 18 June*

My dearest Ilschen!**

The clock has already chimed midnight, but I have to quickly write a few lines to you.
    Heartfelt thanks for 18 and 19. The last letter arrived here very quickly.
    Say, it would be wounderful if we were on leave at the same time, so that we could spend at least a few days of it together. I expect it to be late July - August, provided, of course, that nothing out of the ordinary happens to prevent it.
    You know, in the evening (i.e., we only get to bed shortly before the morning) I often build myself castles in the air.
    That is the most beautiful thing for me these days. I imagine then that you were with me now; I forget about the present then and soar away to higher regions.
    Otherwise, one can hardly express one's emotions and feelings around here; you only ever have soldiers around you. The little picture of you (albeit in uniform as well) helps me to overcome these moments. Right; enough now of the "sentimentality", as the comrades would say.
    Very, very, cordial greetings and a dear kiss.

Your Fritzl***
    "

*) With the uncertainty and irregularity of wartime mail delivery to operational areas, it was common practice for both parties engaged in an exchange of letters to number their letters consecutively so that the recipient would notice if a letter was missing or if they arrived out of sequence.
    So, Ilse had sent Fritz her letters no. 18 and 19. Fritz replied with his own letter no. 21. Then, Ilse sent Fritz her letter no. 20 at some point before she replied to Fritz' letter no. 21 with her own letter no. 21.

**) diminutive/affectionate form of the female first name Ilse.

***) diminutive/affectionate form of the male first name Fritz.

Interesting information about the practice of numbering letters...Here is my Stalingrad Feldpostbrief that is numbered in a similar fashion...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture June 5th 1944 Dated Feldpost Translation  

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Interesting information about the practice of numbering letters...Here is my Stalingrad Feldpostbrief that is numbered in a similar fashion...
    Exactly: The same "system" applied by another couple. Coincidentally, this lady's name was also Ilse!

Now would there be any way to research this soldier? And it is very interesting that little does Fritz know that the biggest invasion was only two days away.

By checking the Volksbund Website, I found the man who wrote the above letter from Stalingrad listed as missing in action, January 1, 1943...
    It might be worth a try...and a nice little project, as Paul has provided important unit information as well...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    By checking the Volksbund Website, I found the man who wrote the above letter from Stalingrad listed as missing in action, January 1, 1943...
    It might be worth a try...and a nice little project, as Paul has provided important unit information as well...
    cheers, Glenn
    Exactly what is the Volksbund Website and how do I use the info that Paul provided? I'm sorry, I'm very new to researching the German side of the war.