Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Just some nice Danish Signal Magazines

Article about: Nice Signal Magazines from Denmark: Signal 1 January 1943 showing before the transport to their troope regiment Signal 1 February 1943 showing the Danish ship "Strasbourg" Signal 2

Default Just some nice Danish Signal Magazines

Nice Signal Magazines from Denmark:
    Signal 1 January 1943 showing before the transport to their troope regiment
    Signal 1 February 1943 showing the Danish ship "Strasbourg"
    Signal 2 January 1943 A machine gunner hidden in the snow landscape
    Signal 1 March 1943 Spanish soldiers fighting for Europe
    Signal 2 March 1943 His highness receiving the troops in Tunis
    Signal 2 April Showing Winston Churchill
    Free to give me more additional info.
    Regards
    John

Signal was a magazine published by the German Wehrmacht from 1940 through 1945.
    Signal was a modern, glossy, illustrated photo journal and army propaganda tool, meant specifically for audiences in neutral, allied, and occupied countries. A German edition was distributed in Switzerland and to various other countries with a strong German military presence, but Signal was never distributed in Germany proper. The promoter of the magazine was the chief of the Wehrmacht propaganda office, Colonel Hasso von Wedel. Signal was published fortnightly (plus some special issues) in as many as 25 editions and 30 languages, and at its height had a circulation of 2,500,000 copies. It was available in the United States in English until December 1941. The last number was 6/45, only known in one sample from the Swedish edition.
    Signal described the combat conditions of the German troops and their allies in all fronts, together with high quality photos, including a central double page full color one. Many of the most famous photos of World War II to be seen today are taken from Signal. The magazine also included articles about economics, science, arts, and advertising for the most well-known German companies (BMW, Agfa, Audi, Siemens ...). The contents of the different editions could vary, sometimes avoiding subjects that could upset or worry the population of that country (for example, the discovery of the Katyn massacre of Polish officers taken prisoners by the Soviets in 1940 was not covered by all editions).
    The magazine kept its independence from the Propaganda Ministry, remaining under control of the army. Still, there is a political message, one of a unified Europe (under the so called 'New Order') fighting together against the Bolshevism, this idea was symbolized by the different foreign units and volunteers fighting on the German side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just some nice Danish Signal Magazines   Just some nice Danish Signal Magazines  

Just some nice Danish Signal Magazines  
    Last edited by johnschou; 09-13-2012 at 06:27 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just some nice Danish Signal Magazines
    P
    Many

Default Re: Just some nice Danish Signal Magazines

Nice grouping, thank you for the information...I've never seen a '45 dated Signal, I'm sure they must be scarce. The photography was definitely highest quality...
    Glenn

Hi Glenn
    Thank you very much, I even had the oppertunity to buy about 50 Magazines, but you know the lack of money :-)
    Regards
    John

?

Always interesting to see Signal in it's different langauge formats , i must admit i wasn't awate that it had been available in the States up to Dec 1941 , i wonder what the circulation was ?

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul E
    Thank you for your comment, I think the Magazine was wery wide spread, in all the Countries in Europe and as "far" as USA. :-)
    Regards
    John

?

Very interesting John

Still any Danish editions available? I am Danish but live in Moscow.

Det kunne også være interessant at se midterside foto

Regards, Lars

Hej Lars
    Ja, jeg har selv lige købt en del flere som jeg ikke har taget foto af endnu, men jeg kan nok skaffe en del hvis du er interesseret.
    MVH
    John

?

I got my hands on a edition dedicated to the volunteers in the east. It is fantastic to see the different uniforms and insignia these soldiers used. The Signal i got hold of is in Swedish language.

I have an special edition from 1939 when Poland was attacked, I will post it soon, it has a lot of great pictures.
    By the way, the first of my posted of posted Signal, the one top left I have got 2 of them, so I can sell/ exchange that one.
    John

?

Quote by johnschou View Post
    Hej Lars
    Ja, jeg har selv lige købt en del flere som jeg ikke har taget foto af endnu, men jeg kan nok skaffe en del hvis du er interesseret.
    MVH
    John
    What is the price range on Danish and German editions? Admins er normalt ikke så glade for alt for meget "non English"

PM me if needed.

Mvh, Lars