Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Kurland Kessel document?

Article about: Hello I recently bought this Bescheinigung (certificate) from an auction who labelled it as coming from the Ruhr. It basically declares that a Mrs. Derkevics, Miss Anderson and Miss Grosvald

Default Kurland Kessel document?

Hello

I recently bought this Bescheinigung (certificate) from an auction who labelled it as coming from the Ruhr.

It basically declares that a Mrs. Derkevics, Miss Anderson and Miss Grosvalds were employed by the German military authorities between 30th April to 6th May, 1945. During that time they were not supplied by the military (with regards to rations), so they are entitled to extra rations. The feldpost number is given as 08602. The certificate is signed and dated Arlava, 5th May, 1945 by the paymaster.

I looked up Feldpost number 08602 and at this time it is given as being from a Pionier Bataillon in Norway.

However, Arlava is a place in Latvia. It was the location of a concentration camp, but also a labor camp occupied by Dutch citizens working for the German war effort. It also had a Dutch SS unit there.

So it seems my purchase came from that region, perhaps. The names Anderson and Grosvalds could have belonged to Dutch women. The date places it just four days before the German capitulation on the 9th May, 1945. Did it come from the Kurland Kessel during those final days of the war? Anyhow, a nice document from those last desperate days.

Attachment 531092

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kurland Kessel document?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kurland Kessel document?

I think Grosvalds is also a Latvian name

Not sure where you got the Feldpost details from but 08602 doesn't belong to a Pionier unit. The only unit to be given that number was...Kommandeur d. Sicherungs-Divisions-Nachschub-Trupp374.

Axis history. com website.
    Numbers weren't assigned to one entity, the same numbers were used thru-out the war. Sic. Div. 374 used the number in 1942 - 1943. From late 1944 to end of war it was asssigned to the Pioneer battallion mentioned.

I'm well aware of that but having just checked the Feldpost Numbers listed on Axis History there is still only one unit listed for that Number...08602
    (1.2.1941-11.7.1941) Stab Sicherungs-Divisions-Nachschub-Fuhrer
    (15.7.1942-24.1.1943) Kommandeur d.
    Sicherungs-Divisions-Nachschub-Trupp374.

Kurland Kessel document?

Quote by Richie B View Post
    I think Grosvalds is also a Latvian name
    Agreed. It seems very likely to me that all three women were Latvians employed by the German armed forces.

My mistake, the pioneers were 08603, missed the new Feldpost number before the entry!