Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Letter from Auschwitz.

Article about: An image of the postal control office at KL-Auschwitz-I, Stammlager, i.e. the main camp. Regards, Carl

Default Re: Letter from Auschwitz.

You might find this one interesting:
    http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/3443917/...-%20090608.pdf
    Last edited by Auseklis; 09-04-2010 at 06:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Letter from Auschwitz.
    P
    Many

Talk about focused research.Mien Gott

Excellent stuff!

a couple of quick thoughts!

i lean myself towards this being a letter from a "camp worker"

1. the cancel on the stamp appears to be genuine and ties it well to the cover

2. the envelope /paper type is also correct for the supposition of a "worker" rather tha admin or guard, as they would have had acess to higher quality paper etc..

3. i believe that the "auschwitz" handstamp in red is an added marking, added well after the fact. it is unlike any secondary marking i have seen on cc mail

the truly interesting thing about this letter is the LACK of censor markings. 90% or better of all cc mail have some form of censor markings on them, ranging from a simple 2 line "gepruft and censor number" handstamp, to a "geoffnnet" roundstamp and tape where the letter had been opened.

the sender must have been unusually trusted to have gotten a letter through, un-censored

-sean

?

Thank you for your response and interest to the thread guys. I think the best thing for me to do would be to find a Czech speaker and get the letter translated.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Adrian, I have only just noticed this thread whilst browsing the forum today. If you still have this piece, let me know and my good lady and I will assist with regards to the content. Further to the thread and comments above, I must add to what Sean stated earlier regarding the censorship stamps. The number of original KL related letters that I have owned, and continue to handle, is indeed rather large, yet the markings can vary from period and location. There is no exact uniform pattern as to how camp mail was marked. Many examples that are found today resemble the pieces shown below, which display what is regarded as the "standard" format KL prisoner letter, that was utilised throughout most of the KL system. Variations patently exist, some of which are shown here. Examples with no official markings whatsoever are always going to be questioned, and rightly so, yet from the millions of letters written by inmates throughout the KL system, it would be rather naive to believe that they should all be marked in a uniform manner. The countless thousands of sub camps also had their own letters and markings too, further adding to an already interesting area.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Letter from Auschwitz.   Letter from Auschwitz.  

Letter from Auschwitz.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Letter from Auschwitz.  Letter from Auschwitz. 
    Last edited by CARL; 12-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.

?

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your reply. I do still have the letter and if you can help with any translation it would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

We'll take a look at it later Adrian.

Regards,

Carl

Looking forward to "reading" this letter!

If they were KL prisoner letters they would I am pretty sure have the senders prison number also with the senders details.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Quote by clarksvillestamps View Post
    3. i believe that the "auschwitz" handstamp in red is an added marking, added well after the fact. it is unlike any secondary marking i have seen on cc mail
    sean

If the red Auschwitz marking is indeed a post war addition, then one should also question the musical symbol mark, as it appears in part to be of the same ink.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. KolĂ­n, where the letter was sent to, is a Bohemian town on the River Elbe, approximately 30 miles east of Prague.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast