Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Letter from Auschwitz.

Article about: An image of the postal control office at KL-Auschwitz-I, Stammlager, i.e. the main camp. Regards, Carl

?

Default Re: Letter from Auschwitz.

An image of the postal control office at KL-Auschwitz-I, Stammlager, i.e. the main camp.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Letter from Auschwitz.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Letter from Auschwitz.
    P
    Many

?

your help in reseacrh carl is a credit to you and this forum sir,regards george

?

Thanks again for your kind words George. I am pleased to be able to contribute in a manner that is deemed both helpful and informative.

Regards,

Carl

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Adrian, I have only just noticed this thread whilst browsing the forum today. If you still have this piece, let me know and my good lady and I will assist with regards to the content. Further to the thread and comments above, I must add to what Sean stated earlier regarding the censorship stamps. The number of original KL related letters that I have owned, and continue to handle, is indeed rather large, yet the markings can vary from period and location. There is no exact uniform pattern as to how camp mail was marked. Many examples that are found today resemble the pieces shown below, which display what is regarded as the "standard" format KL prisoner letter, that was utilised throughout most of the KL system. Variations patently exist, some of which are shown here. Examples with no official markings whatsoever are always going to be questioned, and rightly so, yet from the millions of letters written by inmates throughout the KL system, it would be rather naive to believe that they should all be marked in a uniform manner. The countless thousands of sub camps also had their own letters and markings too, further adding to an already interesting area.

Regards,

Carl
    The typeface used on these standard letter forms is Futura and was designed in 1927 by Paul Renner. Commissioned by the Bauer Type Foundry, Germany, Futura was designed to reflect visually the Bauhaus design style (1919–1933) and was released commercially in 1936. Futura is still a very popular sans serif typeface today.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Further to the earlier post regarding the ink stamp markings, here are more variations of KL post office control stamp. These examples are present on letters from KL-Ravensbruck, circa 1941-42.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Letter from Auschwitz.   Letter from Auschwitz.  

Letter from Auschwitz.  

?

Adrian, some further information of note for you...

The post card pictured below, which you posted earlier in the thread, originates from a forced labour and Durchsgangslager (transit camp) site that I recently covered this thread Barackenlager Hagibor. The site, although not technically a regular KL, was known as Barrackenlager Hagibor, and located within the eastern superbs of Prague. It was operational between August 1944 and spring 1945. Approximately 3,500 people, mostly from mixed marriages and non Jews who had refused to divorce their spouses, passed through Hagibor, which served as a Durchsgangslager, in addition to being used as a forced labour facility where mica was processed. Many of the inmates were transferred to Theresienstadt. More information about the locale can be found in the aforementioned thread. The name Hagibor is a Hebrew word for hero. The site was located on a former sports area frequented by the Jewish youth of Prague.

Below, an image of the former utility building at Hagibor, now returned to its prior status as a home for elderly Jewish residents and an image of the commemorative stone, constructed of Bohemian sandstone and displays the Hebrew inscription of the word "Hagibor". Note the address on the gatepost, which matches the card sender's address: Schweringasse 1201 (Vinohradská 1201 in Czech). The memorial stone is located on the former grounds of the barracks, which lie adjacent to the factory building.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Letter from Auschwitz.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Letter from Auschwitz.  Letter from Auschwitz. 
    Last edited by CARL; 11-07-2016 at 12:24 AM.

?

Adrian, I am still waiting for the scan for translation - I guess you probably forgot...

Anyway, I can tell you something rather interesting regarding the letter. The hand written markings on the reverse of the cover, stating "Lg. Buchenwald Werk" - (Camp Buchenwald Works) refers to a relatively unknown sub-camp of Auschwitz-III, Monowitz. The Monowitz camps numbered a dozen or so, varying in size between the Monowitz camp itself - which held thousands of prisoners, to smaller camps such as Lager-IIX, "Karpfenteich". Lager-II, "Buchenwald" was located west of the massive BUNA Industriekomplex, part of which is shown below. Auschwitz-III, Monowitz is also addressed in this thread http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...nowitz-365565/

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Letter from Auschwitz.   Letter from Auschwitz.  

?

Interestng thread.

?

Hello Carl,

Many thanks for your work and effort in this field, your time is appreciated.

To be honest I had forgotten about sending the scan to you, I will attend to this shortly. The photographs you share are very interesting and helps complete the tale and provides a link to the past of these small pieces of correspondence from a time we will never truly know.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thanks Adrian. Will look forward to reading the scan when it arrives.

Regards,

Carl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3