Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Maker of Signed Postcard

Article about: Hello I would like to know if anyone can find information on this postcard at the bottom.

Default Maker of Signed Postcard

Hello I would like to know if anyone can find information on this postcard at the bottom.Maker of Signed Postcard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Maker of Signed Postcard
    P
    Many

What you have is a rather unique and probably valuable postcard. The inscription on the lower left corner, Verlag Pieperhoff in Leipzig, refers to Alfred Pieperhoffer who was the official Photographer for the Bayreuth Production Company until his death in 1930, when his son, Joachim, took his place. Joachim held the position until 1949.
    The signature in the lower right corner is that of Richard Wagner’s grandson, Wieland Adolf Gottfried Wagner. He became an administrator in the Bayreuth Production Company after his father’s death on 4 August 1930. The postcard was created in 1934 and marketed under the auspices of the Bayreuth Production Company.

Source: Archiv der Festspiel Verwaltung Bayreuth, „Fa. Pieperhoff: Aufstellung der Kasseneingänge auf „Führerbilder“ vom März 1934,“ p. 23. Dwight

"Aufn." is the abbreviation for "Aufnahme", meaning that Wieland Wagner took this photograph. He was originally a photographer and painter by trade.

Yes, I recognize that, but the contact for the photo was made with Pieperhoff who was also a photographer whereas Wieland Wagner, also a photographer, was a member of the Bayreuth Productions administration with whom Pieperhoff entered into the contract. Another possibility is that Wieland Wagner took the picture and contracted on behalf of the the production company for Pieperhoff to print the postcards for sale by the production company. I have the date of the contract, the contract title for the photo , and the parties involved in the contract. Another twist is that the photo was rendered in a pencil sketch that was displayed in the theater cashier's lobby. The pencil sketch could have been done by either man, but my strongest supposition is that it was Wagner who did it. Unfortunately, I do not have the contract itself to determine what the relationship both men had to the photo. Dwight
    Last edited by drmessimer; 09-27-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: clarity

Interesting, crazy how you are able to find the information. I paid 2,200 dollars for it. Most Adolf Hitler signatures go for somewhere around that price range.

- - ------- - -

That is a live signature by the way.

Dagang20, Congratulations of your acquisition. On reflection, I think that HPL2008 is correct that Wagner took the photograph. In all probability the contract was with Pieperhoff to print the postcards for which he would receive a percentage of the sales made by the Bayreuth Production Company. Or he might have been given the rights to print photos for sale through his own outlets. Dwight