Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mein Kampf set in lead type

Article about: by Walkwolf ... Can you actually make a printing block from hot lead ! ? ! Or would you use existing type and set it yourself ? I can. I have quiet some different matrixes , even one type th

Default Re: Mein Kampf set in lead type

Quote by ELMO View Post
    So I guess this is probably not an authentic piece of history?

Elmo
    I guess not! Sorry.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mein Kampf set in lead type
    P
    Many

ELMO
    ?

Stuka f,
    The prints were not a success due to the fact of not having the proper set up. The lines are loose, and when you try and make a print the type moves or the paper slips and smears the ink.

Elmo

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    [I]....

I think the cliche plates were etched with hydrochloric acid or something.....
    They where, so where the stone one's.
    But htise has nothing to do with what elmo showed in his first or second post.
    These letters are made by a machine that melts his lead and then injected it into a matrix (having the forme of the lettertype you want) in an order you can control with a keyboard connected to that machine.

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by ELMO View Post
    Stuka f,
    The prints were not a success due to the fact of not having the proper set up. The lines are loose, and when you try and make a print the type moves or the paper slips and smears the ink.

Elmo

Yes, well then it is indead a lyno type block , but these blocks, need to be held in special frames that can be put under a press and held stady.
    Then the ink is put on the lyno type block a piece of paper on top of it and then the pres gets on to it.
    Thise can be done manualy or mechanicly ...even automaticly...
    Every press has they specific type of frames.
    But never the less I don't think it is a periode item.
    Like I said, if you find somebody with a lino press set up , you can ask him to make any page of the book...

cheers
    |<ris

ELMO
    ?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Yes, well then it is indead a lyno type block , but these blocks, need to be held in special frames that can be put under a press and held stady.
    Then the ink is put on the lyno type block a piece of paper on top of it and then the pres gets on to it.
    Thise can be done manualy or mechanicly ...even automaticly...
    Every press has they specific type of frames.
    But never the less I don't think it is a periode item.
    Like I said, if you find somebody with a lino press set up , you can ask him to make any page of the book...
    Stuka f, what leads you to believe that this is not a period item? I'm not trying to argue by any means, just trying to gather as much information as possible.

Elmo

Quote by ELMO View Post
    Stuka f, what leads you to believe that this is not a period item? I'm not trying to argue by any means, just trying to gather as much information as possible.

Elmo
    I can't .
    The only thing I can tell you is that thise can be made so easely when one as the equipment.
    Also keep in mind that every printer kept on recyling his led, when a book was not in demand anymore those block's were melted in order to make other orders, and I bet thise book was not in demand anymore at the end of the war.
    They were also melted down after 2 to 3000 times being used.

cheers
    |<ris

ELMO
    ?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    I can't .
    The only thing I can tell you is that thise can be made so easely when one as the equipment.
    Also keep in mind that every printer kept on recyling his led, when a book was not in demand anymore those block's were melted in order to make other orders, and I bet thise book was not in demand anymore at the end of the war.
    They were also melted down after 2 to 3000 times being used.
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. But.....just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of any in existence? If so, what might something like that be worth?

Quote by ELMO View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. But.....just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of any in existence? If so, what might something like that be worth?
    I have done clearings of houses, manufactory's and other kind of buildings for nearly 30 years now.
    I did so in several European country's and I encouter some, but mostly related to the family or the buisiness they had. But they where well framed and well preserved in order to be exposed; hanging on a wall or in a display cabinet.
    But I never found left overs( lyno type or mono type led blocks), in some dusty old corner, in any clearence I did.
    Like I said , that lead is a special led, not just any kind of led, and worth money, so when ever a order was finished it was melted down again, into bars or into new characters.
    Stocking those (like the one you showed) would ask to much work and storage capacity, also any damage to the characters would need them to be re-done.
    I never saw any being offered for sale eighter, on flee markets , auction houses or what ever.
    But if some would appear , like the own you showed; I could imagine they would be asking like 100 to 150 € for.Even if it was made yesterday on a British machine....

cheers
    |<ris

Very very interesting piece you have here.
    I never thought I would see such an item like that...

ELMO
    ?

I'm posting two more pics. I think this is definitely worth another look.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mein Kampf set in lead type   Mein Kampf set in lead type  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast