Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mein Kampf - Wedding Edition

Article about: I sometimes see Mein Kampf's Wedding Edition (Hochzeitsausgabe) as Kriegsausgabe (War Edition??). What is the difference between the two? Would appreciate if someone could give an explanatio

JMM
    ?

Default Mein Kampf - Wedding Edition

I sometimes see Mein Kampf's Wedding Edition (Hochzeitsausgabe) as Kriegsausgabe (War Edition??). What is the difference between the two?
    Would appreciate if someone could give an explanation.
    Thank you for your time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mein Kampf  - Wedding Edition
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mein Kampf - Wedding Edition

Wedding editions were specially made bindings in black half leather and were imprinted with the City State's symbol on the cover. They had a special printed page inside to fill in with the newlyweds names,date, and signature from the Burgomeister or Mayor who was presenting it to the new couple as a wedding gift from the State. This edition also featured a matching slip cover case.
    War editions were simply wartime era printed editions in a regular style cover(Usually had a small eagle and swastika on it) and generally included a few patriotic type of advertisements in them.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Nice thorough explanation William, well done.

Regards,

Carl

?

Agreed. Thats the way to post an answer to a question.

JMM
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Wedding editions were specially made bindings in black half leather and were imprinted with the City State's symbol on the cover. They had a special printed page inside to fill in with the newlyweds names,date, and signature from the Burgomeister or Mayor who was presenting it to the new couple as a wedding gift from the State. This edition also featured a matching slip cover case.
    War editions were simply wartime era printed editions in a regular style cover(Usually had a small eagle and swastika on it) and generally included a few patriotic type of advertisements in them.
    Thank you William
    The first one that you described is the one I've always known as Wedding Edition. I only asked because I've seen in some sites calling that same edition Kriegsausgabe and I thought it could be another edition (apart from the blue cover people's, the red cover soldier's and the blue cover with sword 50th anniversary ones - not to mention the 2 volumes paper back peoples edition and the 2 red cover volumes first edition, of course). So, calling that edition, Kriegsausgabe is an error.
    Thank you once again for your explanation.

I've always been tempted to begin collecting Just Mein Kampf's, but it would be an endless project. In Germany alone, you had So many editions. The Marriage Editions, for example, it would be interesting to see just how many different State symbols and Burgomeister signature combinations could be assembled. Then, of course, as you said, there are the "war editions"-with the blue cloth covers and the little eagle and swastikas on them which are probably the most widely available and least costly. There are the Hitler Birthday printings, the early First Edition/first printings, the military man's editions, the paperback editions, the full leather presentation sets, and the king of them all-the autographed leather dignitary sets. If that wouldn't be enough for anyone, you could always move on to the contemporary published Foreign editions-especially interesting would be the occupied countries printings. Precisely why my thoughts on the project have always remained a "temptation"! I'd need another whole room just to house the Mein Kampf's alone!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

KSH
    ?

I've always been tempted to begin collecting Just Mein Kampf's, but it would be an endless project. In Germany alone, you had So many editions. The Marriage Editions, for example, it would be interesting to see just how many different State symbols and Burgomeister signature combinations could be assembled. Then, of course, as you said, there are the "war editions"-with the blue cloth covers and the little eagle and swastikas on them which are probably the most widely available and least costly. There are the Hitler Birthday printings, the early First Edition/first printings, the military man's editions, the paperback editions, the full leather presentation sets, and the king of them all-the autographed leather dignitary sets. If that wouldn't be enough for anyone, you could always move on to the contemporary published Foreign editions-especially interesting would be the occupied countries printings. Precisely why my thoughts on the project have always remained a "temptation"! I'd need another whole room just to house the Mein Kampf's alone!

Speaking of interesting copies of Mein Kampf, this one is enough for me - a common edition with a very special history:

A 1936 copy of Mein Kampf used by the highly decorated Norwegian diplomat and ambassador to London, Erik Colban (Erik Colban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to study the intentions of Adolf Hitler from a foreign political perspective (which was part of Colban's job basically at this time), at a point in time where no-one really knew what Hitler really would do in this regard. He has underlined many passages in the book, all of them with foreign political implications - when Hitler writes about the Jews or national policy for example not relevant to Hitler's foreign policy there is no underlining of any sort. This was strictly business for Colban and as such only passages directly relevant to his job has been underlined.

Photo of Erik Colban:
    Mein Kampf  - Wedding Edition

His name can be seen below in his own handwriting.

I shall loosely translate one short passage which Colban evidently considered very important: "The borders of the year 1914 mean absolutely nothing for the future of the German nation".

Now, I don't know if such a thing interests the membership here, but for me as a Norwegian this book is in its way a part of my country's diplomatic history in a very important and volatile time.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

JMM
    ?

100% correct. That's why I'll try to restrict my collection to the more "afordable" german versions (peolple, wedding, soldier, 50th and paperback). I guess that way I will not need another room just to house the books and specially I'll save a lot of Pounds / Euros.
    Thanks

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    Speaking of interesting copies of Mein Kampf, this one is enough for me - a common edition with a very special history:

A 1936 copy of Mein Kampf used by the highly decorated Norwegian diplomat and ambassador to London, Erik Colban (Erik Colban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to study the intentions of Adolf Hitler from a foreign political perspective (which was part of Colban's job basically at this time), at a point in time where no-one really knew what Hitler really would do in this regard. He has underlined many passages in the book, all of them with foreign political implications - when Hitler writes about the Jews or national policy for example not relevant to Hitler's foreign policy there is no underlining of any sort. This was strictly business for Colban and as such only passages directly relevant to his job has been underlined.

Photo of Erik Colban:

I shall loosely translate one short passage which Colban evidently considered very important: "The borders of the year 1914 mean absolutely nothing for the future of the German nation".

Now, I don't know if such a thing interests the membership here, but for me as a Norwegian this book is in its way a part of my country's diplomatic history in a very important and volatile time.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.
    Anouther interesting piece Kenneth. I can see why it means alot to you, and if I were Norwegan, it would mean alot to me aswell.
    Cheers, Pat

JMM
    ?

Quote by KSH View Post

Photo of Erik Colban:

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.
    Interesting and Historicaly important MK edition. Thanks for the info and photos