Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Military/Paramilitary Document

Article about: A June 29th, 1941-dated Wehrmacht document with a lot of dates thrown around (1914-1918, 1939, & 1940). Any ideas as to who was the issuing organization and unit (if applicable)?

Default Military/Paramilitary Document

A January 29th, 1941-dated military or paramilitary document with a lot of dates thrown around (1914-1918, 1939, & 1940). Any ideas as to who was the issuing organization and unit (if applicable)?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military/Paramilitary Document   Military/Paramilitary Document  

Military/Paramilitary Document  
    Last edited by Dillinger022; 08-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Military/Paramilitary Document
    P
    Many

It says:

"The Reich Governor in Oberdonau*
    Ia/Pol. - 6932/8 - 1940.
    This file reference is to be stated in all replies!

Linz, 29th January 1941.

Today!

To:
    The District Chief Executives of the Reichsgau Oberdonau,
    the Lord Mayors of Linz and Steyr.

Re.: Care for war graves.
    With reference to: My decree of 10th June 1940 - Ia/Pol. - 3796/1 - 1940.
    Enclosures: Forms for the municipal authorities, sketches on grave markers and grave lists.

According to the decree of the Reichs Minister of the Interior of 5/9/1940 - VI c - 3357 - II/40/6166, responsibility for the care for domestic war graves as per the Regulation on Care for the Graves of the Armed Forces of the Greater German Reich of 2/IV/1940 (National Law Gazette I pg. 621) is taken over by the Reichs Minister of the Interior by agreement with the High Command of the Armed Forces.

This refers to those graves of the fallen of the World War of 1914 - 1918 that are situated within the Reich Territories annexed since 31/VIII/1939 and those territories in the West that are under German civil administration as well the graves of the fallen of the current war. Charged with the central execution of the agreement is the Central Registration Office for War Losses and War Graves in Berlin SW 68, Lindenstraße 37.

This care also extends to the graves of those members of the armed forces of our allies and of the enemy powers as well as of those civilian internees that are buried within Reich territory.

With reference to my aforementioned decree, the grave lists of all armed forces members buried on non-military cemeteries within your district since 1/9/1939 are submitted to you. Additional reports on deceased soldiers are still to be submitted to me by the 15th of each month with all necessary data required for the grave lists. Negative reports are required as well.

By order of the Führer, the (Iron Cross-shaped) wooden grave marker described in the attachment is to be set as a "temporary" grave marker. Those soldiers' graves that bear irregularly-shaped, poor crosses, poor inscriptions, improvised, makeshift crosses etc. are to be the first ones to be fitted with the new grave markers. Gravesites that have already been furnished with good-looking, durable grave markers may retain those. A standardized execution is necessary; thus in case of additional burials, any previously used standardized grave markers are to be chosen. In case of new cemeteries and comrades' graves, the designated grave marker design in the shape of the Iron Cross is to be used. This regulation also applies to additional burials on cemeteries of the World War. The Mayors and cemetery administration agencies in charge are to be notified of this
    ."

*) Upper Danube

On a related note, this thread is of interest here as well:
    Death notices and grave symbols

Wow, thank you immensely for the full translation!

Very interesting, I don't know why, but these mundane issues fascinate me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your translating HP. I'm sure most of the members here feel the same. I thank you for the time you put forth to help us obtain a broader understanding of many topics. Thanks for posting this letter Dillinger. It appears that there were several endings to words missing after this letter was mimeographed and then someone typed in the letters. Unusual for the usual German attention to detail it seems.

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Very interesting, I don't know why, but these mundane issues fascinate me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your translating HP. I'm sure most of the members here feel the same. I thank you for the time you put forth to help us obtain a broader understanding of many topics. Thanks for posting this letter Dillinger. It appears that there were several endings to words missing after this letter was mimeographed and then someone typed in the letters. Unusual for the usual German attention to detail it seems.
    Yes, mundane Third Reich-era issues fascinate me as well! I second your praise of HPL2008!

Too bad I'm missing the attachments.