Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with ersatzkarte

Article about: Can anybody tell me something about this ersatzkarte? I was wondering why the foto is not stamped, even though it APPEARS to be an original staple-job on the foto. Also what, exactly did the

ww2fotos
    ?

Default Need help with ersatzkarte

Can anybody tell me something about this ersatzkarte? I was wondering why the foto is not stamped, even though it APPEARS to be an original staple-job on the foto. Also what, exactly did the guy do? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with ersatzkarte   Need help with ersatzkarte  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Need help with ersatzkarte

His job description "Hilfswerker" means he was unskilled labor doing some kind of simple work.
    He was a Croatian working at the Lonza-Werke at Waldshut; see here: Waldshut - Lonza GmbH Waldshut-Tiengen

ww2fotos
    ?

Thanks for the info. Any ideas about the stapeling of the foto?

Quote by ww2fotos View Post
    Thanks for the info. Any ideas about the stapeling of the foto?
    I really don't know much (read: nothing! ) about these documents, but apparently they were not originally intended to bear photographs at all: There is no designated space for the picture; it was simply put on top of the text on the last page.

Perhaps, originally there was just the stamped seal in the lower left corner (although this is also a very odd place for a seal...!) while the photo was added later to create an improvised photographic ID and then sealed again? (The upper right corner of the photographs does show traces of the seal.)

Another observation: The photograph was obviously kept somewhere else before it was added to the ID - It bears the parallel impressions of what was probably a paperclip and the two brown stains on the right edge of the image don't continue on the document.

Sorry, that's all I can offer...

ww2fotos
    ?

After looking at the foto - under a glas - I agree, apparantly the foto WAS stamped, but the ink mostly wore off. Thanks for your help!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.