Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with picture.

Article about: I recently uncovered this luftwaffe picture. It belonged to my grandmother and she said it was her fiancé in the later part of the war. It was kept a secret until it was recently uncovered.

Default Need help with picture.

I recently uncovered this luftwaffe picture. It belonged to my grandmother and she said it was her fiancé in the later part of the war. It was kept a secret until it was recently uncovered. I'm trying to find any information about his uniform, decorations, or anything else anyone might have knowledge on. He has been missing since 1944. All my grandmother would tell me is that he was a pilot but couldn't remember anything else. Thanks for any input.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with picture.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with picture.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help with picture.

You sure that's not Paul Newman? ;-)

Hi!!! I will try to offer my limited knowledge here... He is a Luftwaffe member for start... He has the Luftwaffe Marksmen lanyard and what looks like the Iron Cross 2nd class and Ostfront ribbons stiched on his uniform's button holes... He is a Non Commissioned Officer as seen by the silver piping on his collar tabs and has the title of Hauptfeldwebel - Oberfeldwebel (Warrant Officer). The color of the collar tab may be brown or crimson.

Now for the ribbon bar... The middle one is for the Luftwaffe long service award. First one looks like the War Merit Cross with swords and the third one looks like the ribbon of the Commemorative Medal of 1st October 1938 but i don't know for sure...

I forgot to mention that the color on his collar tabs is for :
    Brown --> Signals and Communications Command
    Crimson --> General Staff of the Air Force

I think there is no way to know the exact color of his collar tabs due to the B&W photograph... Maybe someone else can tell for sure...

?

It would be very helpful if you could post the photo the corect way up,

Thanks

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Right side up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with picture.  

That is better! Nice picture you've got there mate! He is a well decorated airman! I wonder how many of the above got them correctly!

Is there any way to locate any information on him. I know his first and middle name with an idea of the last name. I'm trying to find out what happened to him.

I thought you said "he disappeared in 1944", which may be the definitive answer?

All we know is he never came back. Family never heard from him until contact was lost in 1951.

So he was still in contact until 1951?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast