Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers last.

Article about: Nice to read these war time stories thanks for the translation.

Default Re: Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers last.

Nice to read these war time stories thanks for the translation.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.
    P
    Many

Many thanks again. Funny that the letter makes everything sound like a party. Not sure about the car ride though.
    The young lady he mentioned 'Gerti' was his daughter (my Aunt). She's actually the one I got these 2 letters from.
    Never knew she wrote him as the two were known not to get along to well. I need to see if there is any more I can get
    out of her. She's the only one left that may still have some information and at 86 it's getting harder to keep her mind
    on track.

Rudy

Did your Grandpa had any medals or uniforms that passed on you?

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    Did your Grandpa had any medals or uniforms that passed on you?
    None that I was ever made aware of. I was told that a month or so prior to going into this battle that supposedly lead to his death, he sent
    home all the things he had that were of value to him. Not sure what that all consisted of but his pocket watch was one item and I have that.

I'm still not sure what the collar or shoulder insignias mean. Nor do I know were that Feldpost # is from.

Rudy

My apologies for not remembering your name Andreas ... won't happen again.

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    I'm still not sure what the collar or shoulder insignias mean. Nor do I know were that Feldpost # is from.
    I am afraid that only very little (and nothing that you don't know already) can be told from the portrait photograph.
    Your grandfather is wearing a standard Army-issue field blouse with the national insigne over the right breast brocket and woven enlisted ranks' collar patches. The Tresse around his collar identifies him as an NCO, while the shoulder boards show his actual rank of Unteroffizier. No distinctive unit insignia, trade badges, awards or decorations are visible.

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    None that I was ever made aware of. I was told that a month or so prior to going into this battle that supposedly lead to his death, he sent
    home all the things he had that were of value to him. Not sure what that all consisted of but his pocket watch was one item and I have that.

Rudy
    Cool i love pocket watches i bought one Omega recently made in the 1920s

Just my luck, the man may very well have been dead a good 66 years now and he decides to make things tough for me.

I'll (we'll ) find the truth of his demise yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2