Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need opinions on some SS feldpost!

Article about: So I found some SS feldpost for sale and wanted to check your opinon about it. I find one part of the description a little bit odd: "Interesteing to note that on several of the earlier

?

Default Re: Need opinions on some SS feldpost!

Yes quite interesting indeed

PS: I can also provide pictures of content! The firs letter is type writed so it should be easy to read!

I can also add that I saw Karl write the feldpost number 21867B (2:nd SS division Das reich) in 2 of the hand written letters, telling about hes new feldpost numbers. The letters could have been added/modified of course but I doubt it.

and I just noted that it seems like the letter that was sent to him was returned to the sender? Can someone confirm this? I can't make out the text in orange but the feldpost number is crossed out with orange text and I have seen this before on feldpost that was returned when a soldier was KIA or moved to another unit.

Also, he uses 3 feldpost numbers over the time.

1.9.1939-1.1.1940 Panzerabwehr-Sturm SS-Standarte Deutschland.
    28.4.1940-14.9.1940 Panzerjäger-Sturm SS-Standarte Deutschland.
    16.2.1941-18.7.1941 nicht verwendet.
    15.2.1942-30.7.1942 Sammelfeldpostnummer,
    20.2.1945 nicht verwendet.

21867B
    1.9.1939-1.1.1940 I.G. Sturm SS-Standarte Deutschland. 13.-16. Kompanie und Kolonne Regiment SS Deutschland, dann 13.-16. Kompanie Regiment SS Deutschland. 13.-16. Kompanie Regiment SS Deutschland SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Das Reich, 13.-16. Kompanie Panzergrenadier-Regiment S Deutschland SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Das Reich; dann 13. Kompanie Panzergrenadier-Regiment SS Deutschland; dann 13. Kompanie SS-Grenadier-Regiment Deutschland Das Reich; dann 13.-16. Kompanie SS-Grenadier-Regiment Deutschland Das Reich; 29.10.1943 13.-17. Kompanie SS-Grenadier-Regiment Deutschland Das Reich;
    5.2.1944 13.-17. Kompanie Grenadier-Regimen 3 2. SS-Division;
    24.6.1944 Regimentsstab und Einheit Grenadier-Regiment 3 2. SS-Division;

1.9.1939-1.1.1940 Stab SS-Standarte Deutschland.
    16.2.1941-18.7.1941 Regimentsstab SS Deutschland.
    31.7.1942-9.2.1943 Regimentsstab Regiment SS Deutschland SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Das Reich.
    10.2.1943-23.8.1943 Regimentsstab Panzergrenadier-Regiment SS Deutschland SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Das Reich; dann Regimentsstab SS-Grenadier-Regiment Deutschland Das Reich;
    5.2.1944 Regimentsstab und Stabskompanie Panzergrenadier-Regiment 3 2. SS-Division;
    24.6.1944 Regimentsstab und schw. Kompanie Panzergrenadier-Regiment SS-Panzer-Kampfgruppe „Das Reich“.
    Last edited by Monuir; 01-30-2013 at 03:02 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on some SS feldpost!
    P
    Many

?

Thank you for the update. As this is far from my field i will follow the development with big interest This is 100% "Nerding" LOL

Regards, Lars

?

Here is the first Feldpost letter from Karl. Left click on the images for higher quality and zoom function.

Attachment 459204

Attachment 459205

I would very much like if anyone could cast their opinion on this group!

?

Just bumping your thread. I hope it helps

Regards, Lars

?

Thanks mate, looks like it will need a few bumps :P

Hi, i would say that those letters have been written by more than one person, because i see a few different handwritings ! And you are right! Gefreiter is a Wehrmacht Rank in the SS they called it Sturmmann. Even in The Wehrmacht the Rank "Soldat" was unusual those fresh Soldiers where called "Schütze, Kanonier, Reiter, Pionier, Grenadier, Funker......" depending in the Unit they served. Usually nobody served in the Wehrmacht and in the Waffen SS the same time, so thats a very interesting point th think about. And by the way his letter in German is full of mistakes, like my lttle text here ;-) (But i am German)
    Greetings
    El

?

Hi Dan,

I would agree with ElPresidente that there are some differences in the hand written notes, yet only you have all of the examples and are able to check them against each other at this time, but it is worth perhaps taking a look.

Best,

Carl

p.s. Welcome to the forum ElPresidente!

Hi Daniel,

I've noticed that the term "soldat" (and gefreiter) was used until summer 41, in fact the letter where he used the term "gefreiter" is posted the day before Barbarossa. After Germany invades Soviet he is starting to use the ss-ranks. At first I thought it had something to do with the transformation from SS-Verfügungs-division to SS-Infanterie-Division "Reich" but that took place already before the invasion of the Balkans. Quite a little mystery actually.

I also agree with Elpresidente & Carl, the handwriting doesnt look the same all the way, but there can be many plausible reasons for that.

Cheers, Mads

Btw. Before and at the beginning of the war, the geographical location of an ss-volunteer decided which regiment (standarte) he would join.
    E.g. An Austrian would in most cases end up in "Der Führer".

In the case of Karl Born his hometown (Saarbrucken, wehrkreis XII) matches "Deutschland".

Cheers, Mads

?

Ok thank you everyone, it has helped me much. To look for different hand writing I never even thought about.. So simple but effective, thanks.

Things are weird... and it looks like I've been had again... Starting to get a little tired of all fakers and scammers out there, I wonder how they can sleep at night... I spent a considerable amount on this lot and if I am very lucky I might get some of that money back. Moments like this is the worse for a collector and I feel tempted giving my collection away to some museum to never experience this again

Letter 2... Was written on the 7:th November but Feldpost stamp is on the 6:th... I guess he is writing from the future.
    Attachment 459385
    Attachment 459386

Notice how the hand writing is extremely difference on these 2 envelopes... yet they are just 1 month apart.
    Attachment 459390
    Attachment 459391

Letter 2, 3 and 4. Different starts to the letters.
    Attachment 459389

Two different envelopes with very different hand writing again.. Many more of these but did not have the energy to take photos of them all.
    Attachment 459387
    Attachment 459388

I do not know if I am right but it looks to me like someone took a feldpost lot to one family and just added a bunch of feldpost numbers to it. Would love to hear more peoples opinion so if I know if I am in the right to demand my money back or not

Best regards,
    Daniel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast