Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

neuremberg hangings

Article about: I have original photos of all the nazis after they had been hung and was ondering what something like this would be worth or if someone would be interested in this collection. I did some res

?

Default Re: neuremberg hangings

Unfortunately it is very difficult to say when these photos were annotated and by whom !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement neuremberg hangings
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Unfortunately it is very difficult to say when these photos were annotated and by whom !!
    That is true but I like them now I've seen tham and would have no problem adding them to the collection as they are 'iconic' photos and a helluva piece of history.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree with you both, Paul and Adrian, but I think these are actually reprints
    - however they were obtained. There are no 'Official' US Army markings
    on them anywhere, and they are not 'Press' photos.

The annotations could have been written by either a direct witness,
    or simply by someone writing down the information about each
    subject from what they had read. I'm sure there were available
    sources in print for the information - then as now.

It may have been gleaned from magazine articles,
    as Ned has already suggested.........
    Regards,

Steve.

There was a publication called "HITLER AND HIS HENCHMEN AFTER DEATH" by the Press Association,Inc.-New York,Ny. which shows not only the photos that are shown here but the hanging of Carl Herman Frank "The Butcher of Lidice" in Prague,Czech. and also Col.Gen.Kurt Daleuge & one is hanging from a window frame!!And some really horrible photos of several death camps which i am sure you have all seen many times before.The photo of Jodl makes him seem like Frankenstein after the hanging.Carl

?

ok im reposting the photos and as per Stewy have watermarked each one. as far the photos being reprints it is possible but what makes me question that somewhat is that they were in a yellow envelope with a top secret stamp on it. Anymore insight on these photos is greatly appreciated. neuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangingsneuremberg hangings

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    It has been alledged that the executioner of these men, M/S John C. Woods, who hanged a total of 347 people, both during and after the war, allied and enemy, deliberately left the rope for the drop to short on all of the above executions. Furthermore, he also intentionally made the trap too small so that the condemned would smash their faces on the edge of the drop as they were hanged.

Whatever the truth, the executions were botched, the condemned taking between 10 minutes to 25 minutes in the case of Keitel to basically strangle. Streicher was heard groaning for several minutes before executioner Woods went behind the curtain concealing the drop, whereupon the noises quickly stopped. It is assumed he pulled down on the mans legs to kill him quickly, as by this time witnesses were showing visible signs of concern and distress at the whole proceedings.

The British executioner Albert Pierrepoint, aware of the problems encountered by these executions, a.) the time it took to conduct each execution (11 minutes was allocated for each one), and b.) the number to be done each day, was extremely stressful and prolonged to the witnesses present. He and the officers in charge, after consultation, agreed that immeadiately after the trap opened, the condemned prisoner was administered a lethal injection directly into the heart or via the arm, that caused death within a few seconds.

This procedure was later used by the Americans too, as was the fitting of a heart monitor to the prisoner prior to execution.

Regards, Ned.
    I'm sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. The truth of the matter is that Woods was not very good at his job and just plain botched it. The Americans were extremely embarrassed by the unprofessional way in which the hangings were carried out and to diminish the embarrassment, the rumours of intended botching were born and spread. Allegedly, Woods had previous for bad management of executions and I believe his services were dispensed with after the Nuremberg executions.
    On the other hand, Albert Pierrepoint was a highly skilled and professional hangman who followed in his father's and uncle's footsteps as a Home Office hangman. He was an extremely private man who was proud of his proficiency at despatching the condemned in a matter of seconds. None of his executions were botched and he took great pains to ensure that the vertebrae immediately snapped at the foot of the drop, causing instantaneous death. None of his "jobs" died from strangulation and therefore to suggest the use of a lethal injection is plain rubbish. Pierrepoint executed the condemned following the Belsen trial and the only hiccup in the procedure was when it was discovered that the authorities had ordered one coffin less than was required. Pierrepoint made such a song and dance over this that the Army had to urgently procure an additional coffin before he would proceed with the executions.
    I have no knowledge about American use of lethal injections, but Pierrepoint would be spinning in his grave over the suggestion that he condoned such a practice. Pierrepoint's autobiography was published and a film based on the book was produced starring Timothy Spall in the title role. The book has since been recognised as a true reflection of the facts by Home Office archival records.
    Woske.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5