Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier

Article about: Hey all, I just picked up this grouping to an Otto Nitsch ( sorry for the small pix but I will post more detail when they arrive down under ) Here are his award documents for - A hand writte

Default A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier

Hey all,
    I just picked up this grouping to an Otto Nitsch ( sorry for the small pix but I will post more detail when they arrive down under )

Here are his award documents for -

A hand written Winterschlacht im Osten from 28 July 1942 while with 1./N.14 was an unteroffizier
    A replacement from a year later? ….after his promotion to obergefreiter
    verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz on 19 April 1943 with 3./gr. Rgt. (mot ) 53 ( as an unteroffizier )
    EK II 1939, on 14 Sept 1943 whilst with Unterstab / Nachr . Abt. ( mot ) 14 ( as an obergefreiter )

Also some other nice items -

his U.S. issued driver's license as a German prisoner of war
    POW discharge papers, his Sammelbuch and a pass in both German and Russian, allowing to cross the checkpoints and go to his place of residence, and a nice hand painted birthday card issued in a POW camp in the USA (Bridgeville, Delaware ) although I need to work out how this fits in?

Nice to see an unbroken group ( and they will remain so as long as I have them )

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier   A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier  

A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier   A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier  

A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier   A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier  

A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier
    P
    Many

?

nice grouping

hughes

?

A nice group mate !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Nice haul.

So the 'Otto Nitsch' grouping has arrived and I am quite happy with it all. Yes, a Wehrpass or Soldbuch would have been nice to round it off but having his award docs all together is nice to see. So here we go in a bit more detail .....

First his EK2 from 14 September 1941 as an obergefreiter with Unterstab/Nachr. Abt. ( mot ) 14

Then his Ostmedaille from 28 July 1942 - still an obergefreiter in the above unit ( but strangely then a hand written one when promoted to Unteroffizier and with a new unit ( which must have happened later that year )

Then the verwundetenabzeichen in schwarz won in Jan 1943 whilst with that unit - the 3./gr. rgt. ( mot ) 53

Unusual I would say??

More to come, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier   A nice groupng of documents to the one soldier  

Then there is this nice birthday card - sent from a German POW camp in Bridgeville, Delaware. This was a sub-camp that housed the overflow prisoners from the Larger Fort DuPont in Delaware City.( which housed up to 3,000 German prisoners )

To me it looks like the same handwriting style as the Ostmedaille award doc. Maybe this was his Kompanie kommander wishing his friend a happy birthday??? who knows, but it is interesting I think.

A very nice group Dan. I really like this one, congrats mate. Stewy

Next is a US issued drivers license ( for a POW ) so that Otto could drive 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 ton trucks ( versatile POW that he was )
    I have seen these for US personnel but never for a German POW?

This is his discharge papers issued by the US. Every German soldier captured had to be discharged from the army ( officially ) to return to civilian life. This for Otto occurred on 29th April 1947. His form ( complete with right thumbprint ) is fragile but still complete.

Another item I have never seen before??

This is interesting too - it appears to be a pass ( in German and Russian ) allowing Otto to travel to his home district in Merseburg ( near Liepzig ) in the gebirge ( mountains )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast