Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photo of POW camp?

Article about: Hi all. I was told that this photo may be of a POW holding camp in which the Germans would have held captured troops in temporarily before moving them further behind the lines. Can anyone co

Default Photo of POW camp?

Hi all. I was told that this photo may be of a POW holding camp in which the Germans would have held captured troops in temporarily before moving them further behind the lines. Can anyone confirm this or have and suggestions? Cheers.

Sorry, I know it is not the clearest image.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo of POW camp?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo of POW camp?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Photo of POW camp?

It's a possibility.......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hard to tell.
    But it is possible.
    chris

Spitace41: I would say that it is a WWII distribution camp, apparently for British or Commonwealth soldiers. The clues I see are the board fences around an open field among civilian housing, which was fairly typical of German distribution camps in both wars. It is definitely a temporary enclosure. What looks like gear on the on the ground are probably personal belongings that the POWs brought with them from their last camp. The absence of weapons--stacked arms--indicates they are not armed. And you have a lot of men in uniform just milling around. For comparison of the board fence enclosure, below is a photograph of the WWI distribution camp at Karlsruhe for officers. It was built in the city's Botanical Gardens and the board fence enclosure is visible on the sides and in the background. The men in the photo are American pilots and one US Navy officer, Lt. Eduard Isaac. Dwight

Photo of POW camp?

Drmessimer: Thank you very much. That seems to make sense. I just wish I could blow it up a little more and identify the nationality of the POWs. Cheers.

Spitace41: They look British to me, but there could also be French troops in that crowd. Distribution camps in both wars were multinational. It generally wasn't until a POW arrived at his permanent camp that he found himself among his own kind. Dwight

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Hi all. I was told that this photo may be of a POW holding camp in which the Germans would have held captured troops in temporarily before moving them further behind the lines. Can anyone confirm this or have and suggestions? Cheers.

Sorry, I know it is not the clearest image.
    Well, i'll say I think it may be a WW1 photo. On looking closely, a lot of the troops are wearing Brodie helmets, and all appear to be wearing puttees, not exactly allied WW2 uniform. If it was WW2, I would imagine the preponderance of tin helmets would indicate immediately post Dunkirk, but I honestly think this is actually from the first war.

That's my suggestion anyway....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Actually Ned now that you mention it I can see a couple of Brodie helmets! I had just assumed that his was an Eastern front image as it came with a lot of other photos of the Eastern front. WW1 may well be right.

Hard to say, i look the houses, it's not the north of France, not the center. I try to know the place with the type of house. Perhaps képis... perhaps.

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Hard to say, i look the houses, it's not the north of France, not the center. I try to know the place with the type of house. Perhaps képis... perhaps.

Perhaps.......Then again, it could be a fate far worse than death........It could be ........BELGIUM!!!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast