Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 97 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Of course, the problem with finding Russian places based on references in German documents is always that the German spelling is a transliteration from the Russian/Cyrillic one.

Often, several different transliterations were in use (sometimes, you can even find different spellings for one and the same place within the same document), making it that much harder to find the correct search term. (And then, of course, you have communication errors, misspellings, typos etc. on top of that.)

Just for illustration, two random examples for such "variations on a theme" that I have encountered numerous times are:

Krasno-Armaiskoije / Krasnoarmeiskoje / Krassno-Armejskoje / Krassnoarmajskoje
    Sredny / Serednij / Sserednij / Sseredny / Ssrednij / Ssredny

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Exactly! Actually it is very common to see mistakes caused by pronunciation. E.g. in Russian you would say Kriwawizy, however the spelling is Kriwowicy. The Germans probably just noted down the spoken name that they got from the locals and wrote it down as it sounded. You see it a lot with O and A.

Just got this panzer card. Person was KIA near Krivoy Rog (Ukraine) just after the liberation of the city and the completion of the Nikopol - Krivoy Rog offensive.

My suspension is its 24th panzer division: 24. Panzerdivision - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Place of death is 5 km SW of the city. Will be great if some can assist with unit information. Thanks a lot!

Post your death notices

Bauer
    Vorname:
    Franz
    Dienstgrad:
    Gefreiter
    Geburtsdatum:
    Geburtsort:
    Harthausen
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:
    Todes-/Vermisstenort:
    B. Seleny-Gay
    Last edited by Evgeni M; 10-21-2013 at 02:54 PM.

?

Nice one Evgeni! I have one from a GD pzman only a couple months before, killed in Krivoy Rog (Neuweg area). I also think youre right that he is from 24. Pz Div. Seems to Make sense. I thought of 9th and 14th Pz Div's too, but they were NW of the city.

Hi ,here is my one and only death card to Fallschirmjager Max Grubl who was a veteran of the Kreta campaign , the Balkans and killed in Russia. I am guessing that he was most likely in 3rd battalion 1st Fallschimjager regiment , but I have not researched him. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Not sure that this one is ok, have seen it on sale from several people on different paper. UV check would be a good idea.

Nachname:Grübl
    Vorname:Max
    Dienstgrad:Obergefreiter
    Geburtsdatum:28.03.1921
    Geburtsort:Eiberg
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:20.02.1943
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Ssapscho-See nördl.Demidow

The soldier is laying near Smolensk

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi ,here is my one and only death card to Fallschirmjager Max Grubl who was a veteran of the Kreta campaign , the Balkans and killed in Russia. I am guessing that he was most likely in 3rd battalion 1st Fallschimjager regiment , but I have not researched him. Leon.

?

Nice ones Leon. Hope the FJ one is okay especially, as its a very nice card.

Here is an interesting one of Willi Rockl, who it seems was a kraftfahrer in Panzer-Division Hermann Goring (Pz Grenadier Regiment HG). The Allies hit Salerno on Sept 9, 1943 and encountered heavy resistance from HG and Fallschirmjager troops. Willi was killed 1 day later at Cava de' Terreni when his transport column was hit by artillerie fire, about 5miles from Salerno.
    He is now buried among the unidentified at a Cemetery in Cassino, Italy.

If anyone sees something I missed in the text, please let me know....I had a tough time translating this one for some reason.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

?

hi

my last one

Post your death notices

@+, hughes

Very interesting one. He is in the database.

Franz Sips wurde noch nicht auf einen vom Volksbund errichteten Soldatenfriedhof überführt.
    Nach den uns vorliegenden Informationen befindet sich sein Grab derzeit noch an folgendem Ort: Witebsk II - Belarus
    Der Volksbund ist bemüht, auf der Grundlage von Kriegsgräberabkommen die Gräber der deutschen Soldaten zu finden und ihnen auf Dauer gesicherte Ruhestätten zu geben. Wir hoffen, in nicht allzu ferner Zukunft auch das Grab von Franz Sips zu finden und die Gebeine auf einen Soldatenfriedhof überführen zu können.
    Name und die persönlichen Daten des Obengenannten sind auch im Gedenkbuch der Kriegsgräberstätte verzeichnet. Sie können gern einen Auszug bei uns bestellen.
    Bitte beachten Sie, dass auf einigen Friedhöfen nicht die aktuelle Version ausliegt, somit kann der Name Ihres Angehörigen darin evtl. noch nicht verzeichnet sein.
    Nachname:Sips
    Vorname:Franz
    Dienstgrad:OT-Mann
    Geburtsdatum:26.09.1924
    Geburtsort:Mecheln
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:01.12.1942
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Kriegslaz. 906/II F.P. 38152

He died from wounds on the way to Witebsk, most likely, from Leningrad. Where Langemarck was fighting at that time.

?

thanks for your information

cheers, hughes

Page 27 of 97 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast