Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 90 of 100 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Default Georg Wikkert Sanitäter Ober-Gefreiter der SS (Handschar)

Not the sharpest picture, and unfortunately the card is a little dirty, but a remarkable one, showing Wikkert in his Tarnschlupfjacke and wearing his Stahlhelm.
    Although the picture is blurry, the Handschar collar patch is visible.
    Wirkert was decorated with the EK II, Verwundeten-Abzeichen and the Bandenkampf-Abzeichen.
    He died at March 23, 1945, according to the notice, while fighting Partisans.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Hi Martin.

No casualty card unfortunately, but here is an entry from the Volksbund -

Name: Georg Wirkert
    Date of birth: 26.03.1920
    Place of birth: Kirchberg
    Death/missing date: 25.03.1945
    Death/missing place: nicht verzeichnet
    Service rank: Obergefreiter

Georg Wirkert is buried in the military cemetery in Bocholt, Germany.

At the time of his death Georg must have been fighting with a different Division, because the Handshar were in Hungry in March 1945 and he died in Germany.

13.Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS "Handschar" (kroat.Nr.1) - Feldgrau

I had a search online and actually found this information that mentions Georg -

Important note: Wirkert was pictured on his death card in a "Handschar" uniform (with no decorations visible) and it was stated that he was a holder of the Bandenkampfabzeichen. However, although he obviously served in the "Handschar" at some point of his military service, I'm quite sure that if he indeed earned such a decoration, he earned it while serving in a different unit (as far as I've noticed, "Handschar" and "Prinz Eugen" men, who exclusively fought partisans, weren't awarded the Bandenkampfabzeichen; also, Wirkert, killed in March 1945, was buried in Bocholt, far from the operational areas of the "Handschar" Division).

Die Bandenkampfer - Holders of Bandenkampfabzeichen - Page 29 - Axis History Forum

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Something does not add up. Three different dates of death.

The left page of the death card mentions that he died on 23 March 1945 at the age of 26. The right page says “gef.” (gefallen /kia) on 26 March 1945.

The Volksbund entry says Wirkert was born on 26 March 1920 and he died on 25 March 1945, so still aged 25.

Place of birth also does not match. The death card says Inzing, the Volksbund says Kirchberg. These are two different places in Austria.

And I don’t believe the were many partisans to fight in Bocholt.

That is a lot of interesting information you surfaced, Will! Thank you very much!
    I could not find a picture with Find a Grave, so I have to visit Bocholt myself in future.
    If the information is correct, only 84 WW2 German soldiers are buried at Bocholt.
    'On the Main Cemetery of Bocholt are 742 German war graves (Kriegsgräber) from the First World War and 84 from the Second World War.'

Thanks again for the trouble and the link! I will read it thoroughly. I did not know of that thread on Feldgrau, that info is very welcome.

Thank you!
    Martin

Hi Killian,

Well noticed!
    I would think the family knew best where he was born and the card is right, but the Volksbund knows best where he died, but that is an assumption.
    Remarkable... I didn't notice, but indeed!

?

Maybe these were different persons. I don’t know how common the name Georg Wirkert is/was in Austria.

?

Post your death notices

Post your death notices
    Name: Willy Dauth
    Date of birth: 25.5.1920
    Place of birth: Floha
    Death/missing date: 4.1.1942
    Death/missing place: Narastellung 25km südostwestlich Moshaisk

Gefallen: infanterie geschuß kopf (shot in the head)
    A Gefreiter in 2./Sturmgeschütz Abteilung 201

Post your death notices
    Name: Gerhard Metzig
    Date of birth: 11.9.1922
    Death/missing date: 6.1.1942
    Death/missing place: Werchnjaja-Ljubowscha

Gerhard died almost three weeks after being wounded in the back by grenade splinters. He was a Funker in 2./Nachrichten Abteilung 134.

Post your death notices
    Name: Rudolf Schütze
    Date of birth: 6.4.1915
    Place of birth: Plaue-Bernsdorf
    Death/missing date: 15.1.1942
    Death/missing place: Toworkowa

Gefallen: infanterie geschuß kopf (shot in the head)
    A Feldwebel in 1./Infanterie Regiment 465

Post your death notices
    Name: Hans Lange
    Date of birth: 20.12.1920
    Death/missing date: 16.1.1942
    Death/missing place: 5km südostwestlich Kamiahly

Gefallen: artillerie geschuß bauch
    A Schütze in 9./Infanterie Regiment 32

[No casualty card or Volksbund entry for Kurt Scheibe.]

Post your death notices
    Name: Otto Karisch
    Date of birth: 27.8.1899
    Place of birth: Dresden
    Death/missing date: 18.1.1942
    Death/missing place: Kriegslazarett 1/605 (mot.) Polozk

A Gefreiter at Stalag 354

Post your death notices
    Name: Herbert Müller
    Date of birth: 5.4.1906
    Place of birth: Paunsdorf
    Death/missing date: 8.2.1942
    Death/missing place: bei Usadischtsche-Goruschki

Gefallen: handgranate
    An Unteroffizier der Feldgendarmerie in Ortskommandantur I (V) 310

[No casualty card of Volksbund entry for a Peter Heiß with this information]

Post your death notices
    Name: Erich Wittig
    Date of birth: 1.9.1912
    Place of birth: Plaue-Bernsdorf
    Death/missing date: 27.9.1939
    Death/missing place: Germersheim

An Oberjäger in 5./Gebirgsjäger Regiment 138

Post your death notices
    Name: Harry Meyer
    Date of birth: 9.8.1921
    Place of birth: Chemnitz
    Death/missing date: 18.3.1940
    Death/missing place: Dresden

verstorben: lungenoedem (pulmonary edema)
    A Schütze and Fahnenjunker in 1./Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 32

Post your death notices
    Name: Martin Wildenhain
    Date of birth: 9.5.1901
    Place of birth: Berthelsdorf (Rochlitz)
    Death/missing date: 1.4.1921
    Death/missing place: Freiburg Stadt und Kreiskrankhaus

Verstorben: Magenbluten (stomach bleeding)
    A Schütze in 3./Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 394

Post your death notices
    Name: Hans Kempe
    Date of birth: 22.9.1908
    Place of birth: Hohenfichte
    Death/missing date: 25.8.1941
    Death/missing place: Gröditz-Reppis

Unfall. Verstorben: Schußverletzung der rechtes Schlüsselbeins (accident. gunshot injury to the right collarbone)
    A Schütze in 4./Landesschützen Bataillon 396
    Last edited by Witt; 09-06-2023 at 05:08 PM.

Quote by Martin3 View Post
    This is also a special one to me: Gefreiter (!) Berno Heilig, Beobachter in a Sturzkampfgeschwader. He washed up on the Dutch shore of Noordwijk and was buried first at Katwijk, where I live. After the war he was reburried at Ysselsteyn, section TBB3-31.
    A large card, glued to paper, and on the backside of the paper is a picture from Benno glued.
    The family made a lot of work from the cards, this is not your average death notice. They all have a real photograph!

Full name: Berno Heilig
    Born: 21 Mei 1921 Augsburg, Stadtkreis Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany
    Died: 19 Okt 1942 (leeftijd 21)
    Found: Noordwijk aan Zee, Noordwijk Municipality, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands. (His body washed ashore at Dutch coast near Noordwijk on 24/11/1942)
    First buried: 29/11/1942 N.H.cemetery Katwijk
    Reburied: 16/01/1952 Ysselsteyn Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof Ysselsteyn, Venray Municipality, Limburg, Netherlands
    Lot TBB-3-31
    Memorial place-ID 71375551

Plane data: JU088 A-4 werkenr: 142224.
    Plane crashed into North-Sea.
    Berno Heilig was on his second mission on enemy airspace.

Een herinnering aan een jonge vlieger - Katwijk in Oorlog

If any other information surfaces about Berno Heilig: my mates an me would be very interested!
    I don't want to be impolite, but is there information to be found at Anchester? I was not aware of this possibility, but I got rather excited when I browsed through this section!
    Good to see the chronology from initial marker to his final place among kameraden at Ysselsteyn. There is probably a casualty loss card on Ancestry, Witt or Willmore may be able to locate it for you.

B. Heilig was from 6/KG-6 (October 1942 based in Dinard)
    Ju 88A-4 Werk # 142224 "3E + DP" (lost 10/19/42)
    19 October, 1942 pilot Uffz. K. Fischer and the following crew, cause unknown (Ju 88 Loss List). His Ju 88 crashed into the North Sea off the Dutch coast (DeSwart). Added: Remaining crew: Gefr B.Heilig, Obs (KIA, bur Yssel TBB-3-31, washed up at Noordwijk 11/24/42); Uggz G.Aisenpreis, R/O (MIA) and Gefr E,Sarfert, Gnr (MIA) (SGLO).
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 09-06-2023 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Pilot added

Quote by Kilian View Post
    Something does not add up. Three different dates of death.

The left page of the death card mentions that he died on 23 March 1945 at the age of 26. The right page says “gef.” (gefallen /kia) on 26 March 1945.

The Volksbund entry says Wirkert was born on 26 March 1920 and he died on 25 March 1945, so still aged 25.

Place of birth also does not match. The death card says Inzing, the Volksbund says Kirchberg. These are two different places in Austria.

And I don’t believe the were many partisans to fight in Bocholt.
    Hi Killian.

The Volksbund entry seemed to be the closest match and I did check for additional information, but there was nothing to be found unfortunately.

You bring up some interesting points, but you often see mistakes between sources of information, especially on death cards.

An example of a date being wrong can be seen in the link below. The year of birth has been changed using ink -

Post #643 - 5./Kompanie Reserve Gebirgsjäger Bataillon 99 - Josef Mehr
    Post your death notices

Here is another strange example where information didn't seem to match at first -
    Sterbebild, Casualty card and Volksbund anomaly

The places of birth do not match, but he may have been born in Kirchberg, but actually lived in Inzing.

Kind regards,

Will.

Page 90 of 100 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast