Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Hi Martin.

Ha ha ha, thanks Martin and that is the great thing about the forum, we can all help each other and add something to a thread.

No casualty card unfortunately. I have noticed that this often seems to be the case with those who fell in Normandy.

Volksbund entry -

Name: Alfred Hintersteininger
    Date of birth: 16.08.1925
    Place of birth: Altschwendt
    Death/missing date: 11.07.1944
    Death/missing place: Maltot
    Service rank: Sturmmann

Alfred Hintersteininger is buried in the military cemetery in St. Desir-de-Lisieux, France.
    Endgrablage: Block 2 Reihe 13 Grab 295

Find a grave website entry -

Alfred Hintersteininger (1925-1944) - Find a Grave Memorial

I had a search and found some related reading about the place where Alfred died.

Maltot in 1944 – Calvados – Battle of Normandy -

German Panzer units involved Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 101, SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 1, 1. S.S. Panzer-Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, 10. S.S. Panzer-Division “Frundsberg”

Maltot in 1944 - Calvados - Battle of Normandy

7 and 8 -

Missions

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944 -

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944. - Axis History Forum

Operation Express-

Express | Operations & Codenames of WWII

Kind regards,

Will.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Default 1./Komanie Gebirgsjäger Battaillon 94 Johann Oichtner

Another Nice Gebirgsjager notice under the 4th Geb.Div.

Name: Johann Oichtner
    Birth Date: 12 Jun 1922
    Birth Place: Freilassing/Obb.
    Military Unit: 1./Kompanie Gebirgsjäger Bataillon 94
    Death Date: 2 Apr 1943)
    Death Place: 8 Km Südl. Annastasawskaja Unterrkuban

Post your death noticesPost your death notices
    Post your death notices

Lexikon der Wehrmacht - Gebirgs-Jäger-Bataillone

I believe this too says he was shot in the head (based on looking at the other card and examples). Is there a list of abbreviations for casualty cards? I know K is kopf or head, but what do the others indicate? Ie. shot, shrapnel ?
    Last edited by rheppler; 04-26-2024 at 11:50 PM.

Hi Rose.

Nice example, thank you for sharing it with us.

In this case his cause of death was Gefallen: A. G. K = Artllerie Geschuß Kopf (literally Fallen 'killed in action': Artillery shot head). I have see Geschoß (projectile) used too.

I haven't seen a list of abbreviations for this specifically, but here is one that shows the main ones (in German). It is ok, but there are a lot of variations of the abbreviations you will encounter.

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/DE/Conte...ublicationFile

Kind regards,

Will.

Thanks Will,

Thats another great page to add to my research file and for your help with finding a searching a few!

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Martin.

Ha ha ha, thanks Martin and that is the great thing about the forum, we can all help each other and add something to a thread.

No casualty card unfortunately. I have noticed that this often seems to be the case with those who fell in Normandy.

Volksbund entry -

Name: Alfred Hintersteininger
    Date of birth: 16.08.1925
    Place of birth: Altschwendt
    Death/missing date: 11.07.1944
    Death/missing place: Maltot
    Service rank: Sturmmann

Alfred Hintersteininger is buried in the military cemetery in St. Desir-de-Lisieux, France.
    Endgrablage: Block 2 Reihe 13 Grab 295

Find a grave website entry -

Alfred Hintersteininger (1925-1944) - Find a Grave Memorial

I had a search and found some related reading about the place where Alfred died.

Maltot in 1944 – Calvados – Battle of Normandy -

German Panzer units involved Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 101, SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 1, 1. S.S. Panzer-Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, 10. S.S. Panzer-Division “Frundsberg”

Maltot in 1944 - Calvados - Battle of Normandy

7 and 8 -

Missions

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944 -

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944. - Axis History Forum

Operation Express-

Express | Operations & Codenames of WWII

Kind regards,

Will.

Hi Will, goodmorning!

That is a lot more data than I had so far. Thanks! All these (almost) open sources nowadays make researching so much faster. Guess you also still know the time one had to write to several German instances and received the information back by 'paper' mail. I will dive into my old photo books; there is a chance I visited these places on one of the Normandy trips.

I will file this information together with the card, follow the links and do the searches. By the time I hang around here for a year, I might be an experienced detective?

Thanks for the lessons,

Martin

Good morning Martin.

My pleasure. It really does and I do remember a time before the internet (how times have changed). Looking at maps it seems that Alfred died close to Hill 112 which was the scene of heavy fighting, so that could be another area to research. You will be fine Martin, once you get used to research techniques you will be flying. For example, I searched using the place and date of Alfreds death and many links came up. We are lucky because the Battle of Normandy has been covered extensively so there is normally some information that can be found.

Have a great weekend,

Will.

10./Kompanie Luftwaffe Regtiment Barenthin - Johann Buchwieser

Post your death notices

Name: Johann Buchwieser
    Birth Date: 16 October 1922
    Birth Place: Weissach
    Military Unit: 10./Kompanie Luftwaffe Regtiment Barenthin
    Death Date: 4 March 1943
    Death Place: Sedjenane Tunesien

His cause of death is noted as Gefallen: Infanterie Geschuß Brust (Killed in action: Infantry shot chest)

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Hans Buchwieser is buried in the military cemetery in Bordj-Cedria, Tunisia.
    Endgrablage: Hof NAS Ossario 10 Tafel 13.

Interestingly Hans appears to be wearing a Heer tunic and the type of chequred under shirt that was popular amoungst Gebirgsjäger troops. This is strange because all of his units were luftwaffe, including the unit he was with when he received his erkennungsmarke - 62801 3./leichte Fallschirm Flak-Abteilung and 3./Fallschirm Flak M.G. Bataillon.

Luftwaffen-Regiment Barenthin -

The Barenthin Regiment was a newly-raised regiment which was sent to Tunisia in 1943. It was raised from staff and pupils of the Luftwaffe parachute schools.

Kommandeure:
    GenMaj Walter Barenthin, 1.11.42 - 10.3.43
    Oberst Hanns Baier, 10.4.43 - 5.45
    Formed 11.42 in Tunisia from various parachute and other ad-hoc units. It was destroyed there 5.43.

Organisation:

I. 1-4, II. 6-8, III. (Flak) 9-11

Luftwaffen-Regiment Barenthin

Fallschirm regiments in Tunisia -

Fallschirm regiments in Tunisia - Axis History Forum

Fallschirmjäger-Regiment (Mot) "Barenthin" -

Fallschirmjager-Regiment (Mot) "Barenthin" - Axis History Forum

First battle of Sedjenane, February–March 1943 -

Sedjenane is a town in northern Tunisia, on the railway line to Mateur and the port of Bizerta. The Battle of Sedjenane was fought during World War II between the Allies and Axis for control of a town in northern Tunisia, on the railway line to Mateur and the port of Bizerta. The battle was part of the Tunisia Campaign.

Second battle of Sedjenane, April – May 1943 -

The town was retaken by the Allies on April 1, 1943. The several Allied counter-attacks through March 1943, to first stem the German advance and then to retake Sedjenane, represented the first time that British and German parachute troops had fought each other. The use of the term 'Red Devil' to describe a British paratrooper reputedly has its origins in these engagements, fought by men of the 1st Parachute Brigade.

Battle of Sedjenane - Wikipedia

Sedjenane DLI Timeline (Wednesday 3rd March) -

10.00am Enemy attack 6th Lincs positions in Sedjenane in force and beaten off. 1630 - 1900pm The small Arab village to the north of Sedjenane is attacked in force by the Germans and held at bay for over two hours by a party of 22 HQ Company personnel led by Major T G L Balance. L/Sgt Joe Drake of the Carrier Platoon was awarded the MM for his actions on this day.

he Battle for the Village, March 3rd - 4th -

In the aftermath of the failure of the final DLI attack on the morning of March 2nd and the German breakthrough of the 2/5th Forester's positions five miles to the east of Sedjenane on the afternoon of the same day, the British position in Sedjenane became very grave. Elements of the DLI (mainly drawn from HQ Company), together the 6th Lincs, some Forester stragglers and 4 Troop of No 1 Commando, supported by eight Churchill tanks of the North Irish Horse, endeavoured to keep the Germans out of the village. Two of the Churchill tanks were knocked out--at least one by a captured British 6-pounder gun [6th Lincs History page 8]. The British finally withdrew from the village on the evening of March 4th

The Battle of Sedjenane Introduction

Post #3 -

A death card to a soldier where Seejenane is mentioned -

WW2 German Death Card of Afrika Korps member Johann Sterrer.

------

Unfortunately because the seller sends their items in a flimsy envelope with no additional protection, there was damage to Hans face when the death card arrived. Below is how his death card looked when I bought it and how it arrived.

Post your death notices

Post your death notices
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-04-2024 at 08:59 PM.

Great write up as usual! That is interesting as you pointed out he's wearing a Heer uniform with a checkered shirt. Shame about the card arriving damaged.

Thanks Rose.

It is a strange one and the only thing I can think of is that his unit might have received some kind of training at a Gebirgsjäger school, hence why he is wearing that uniform. Doing a bit of digging, it looks like the northern part of Tunisia is mountainous.

Highest Mountains In Tunisia - WorldAtlas

The damage is really disappointing and as soon as I saw the crumpled envelope my heart sank lol.

Kind regards,

Will.

Default Michael Pfleger 2.Komp.Geb.Jag.Nachr.Abt.94

Here is Michael Pfleger, a young Gefreiter aged 22 when he died on 7.9.1942 due to a direct hit from a grenade launcher. in the area of Pschu, Einödsbach, Kaukas. Bsyb-Tal according to his Volksbund profile. He served with 2/Geb.Jag.Nachr.Abt.94 under the 4th Gebirgsjager Div.

Date of Birth: 25.08.1920
    Place of birth: Marktl.
    Death/missing date: 07.09.1942
    Death/missing place: Pschu, Einödsbach, Kaukas. Bsyb-Tal

Cause of death
    Gefallen: Gr. W. Vollt. Granatwerfer Volltreffer (Direct hit from grenade launcher) Or just grenade?

Post your death notices

The back of the Casualty card, does that just give more precise a location of his death or burial?
    From Volksbund site: Michael Pfleger has not yet been transferred to a military cemetery set up by the Volksbund his grave is currently in the following place: Pschu / Abchasien - Russland

Rose
    Last edited by rheppler; 05-02-2024 at 02:21 AM.

Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 LastLast