Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Default Re: Post your death notices

I despise the ones that simply read, 'He died in the east'.

It really says something about the culture of the era- that there was North Africa, France, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Yugoslavia, Greece, etc... and then the East Front. It's almost as if the typical German thought of the front as a sort of abyss or frontier that a soldat simply got lost in. Very rarely have I ever seen a card that actually lists the Russian village. Most of the time, when it does, it's misspelled.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

It is quite a good description of the connotation that goes with the term Eastern Front. However, one still sees the names of the places quite often at the beginning of the war, mostly large cities (in Ukraine). A lot of people were also mentioning Stalingrad if that applied. I guess the reasons that they were not mentioning the village names is that nobody knew where it was anyway and in the official letters there was not always a place mentioned (due various reasons). Moreover, there are a lot of cards from the westfront that are also lacking names of the places and villages, but they are just less numerous.

?

Mo, I dont really like the ones that simply say Ostfront either. But sometimes its worth checking volksbund to see if its a cool location. Im trying to buy only ones that have Numbered shoulderboards visible so a Unit ID can be made.

Here is one for Oberjager Franz Leibelseder of Gebirgsjager Regiment 137 (2nd GJ Div), who died on July 18, 1941 on the Eismeerfront. He died as a leader in an attack with his komrades. My first Sterbebild from that far North! Im figuring he was killed during the heavy fighting in/around Liza, Volksbund says he was killed on the River Enge, Lizafjord. It is in Murmansk Oblast.
    Says he was awarded the Ek2, IAB, and other combat awards. Kinda crappy they arent listed, but maybe no room on the card.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices  

Hi.,

Here's my death card.
    without the soldier photo.
    Maybe the man was ugly...

Regards.,
    Von River

Post your death noticesPost your death notices

Unusual "feelings" card:

Post your death noticesPost your death notices

?

Found a few more interesting Sterbebilder......

Sadly, 30 year old Matthias Steinbacher is listed at Volksbund as "Missing since 1.1.45".

He was a Stabsgefreiter on an Armoured Train! (not sure what Pfarrei Oberteisendorf transaltes to)
    As far as my translation goes....he was sent to a prisoner of war camp Northwest of Moscow (Semenskoje) on October 22, 1945.

A sad card, as Matthias most likely died and froze to death in a POW camp in the Russian winter. May he R.I.P.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

?

Here is a well decorated 24 year old Fritz Buchner. An ?? R.O.B. ?? Obergefreiter in a Panzer Regiment.
    Panzerkampf Abzeichen, EK2, WB, and Ostmedaille.

He was KIA on January 4th, 1944 in the area of Zhitomir. Wrudlewka/Starji Ostropol to be precise.

What does R.O.B. stand for??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices  

?

Alfred Holldobler, an Obergefreiter in an Artillery Regiment, 24 years old. He was killed in the Heavy fighting in Belgorod in 43'....near the border of Ukraine/Russia.
    I think he was a Breadmakers Assistant? (steinmehl gehilfe) Before the war.

He wears the fur winter cap in his photo.

Quote by Bill T View Post
    What does R.O.B. stand for??
    Reserveoffiziersbewerber = Reserve Officer Candidate.

Quote by Bill T View Post
    I think he was a Breadmakers Assistant? (steinmehl gehilfe) Before the war.
    Wouldn't want to chew his bread, Bill: It's Steinmetzgehilfe, i.e. a stone cutter's assistant.

?

Hahaha so he was a Stone-mason kinda! The translation I got was Stone-Flour mate. So I figured it was some type of breadmaker or sumthin. haha And thank you for the abbreviation explanation. Much appreciated. The word Offizier-Anwarter literally means Officer Candidate, right? So, when we are talking about a reservist, we would refer to him as Reserveoffiziersbewerber then?

?

Don't know... I have been told this was a "Death" letter...Sorry if I'm wrong...M
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices  

Page 13 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast