MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Default Re: Post your death notices

Quote by Dagon View Post
    Don't know... I have been told this was a "Death" letter...Sorry if I'm wrong...M
    No death in this letter whatsoever. A private-ranked soldier is writing to a relative (most likely his brother) about his possible assignment as a motor vehicle driver or in a repair workshop. He asks him to write to mother so as to relieve her feelings of missing them and then mentions that he will be posted to the same place as the letter's recipient if he does get assigned as a driver, which he would prefer to his present whereabouts anyway. Finally he asks for an answer right away.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Further info for you on his unit: Feldpost number:

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Stab I Infanterie-Regiment 97,

(28.4.1940-19.9.1940) Stab I u. 1.-4. Kompanie Infanterie-Regiment 97,

(8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 3.2.1944 Stab I u. 1.-4. Kompanie Grenadier-Regiment 97.

Infanterieregiment 97 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Bill T View Post
    And thank you for the abbreviation explanation. Much appreciated. The word Offizier-Anwarter literally means Officer Candidate, right? So, when we are talking about a reservist, we would refer to him as Reserveoffiziersbewerber then?
    Both the term Reserveoffizieranwärter and Reserveoffizierbewerber existed and described reserve officer candidates. (Although a more literal translation of the term "Bewerber" would be "applicant".)

As for the difference, let me qoute from the U.S. Army's 1945 Handbook on German Military Forces (TM-E 30-451):

"c. RESERVE OFFICERS (Reserveoffiziere).

The nucleus of the reserve officer corps consists of conscripts who because of their qualifications and performance during their first year of service were accepted in peacetime as reserve officer aspirants (Reserve-Offizier-Anwärter--R.O.A.), received special training in platoon-leadership during their second year, and were designated reserve officers after their discharge and subsequent recall for a four-week exercise period with their old unit. Suitable professional noncommissioned officers were made reserve second lieutenants upon being discharged at the end of their contractual period.

In wartime, there cannot be any reserve officer candidates of the peacetime type, as conscripts are not being discharged upon completion of a compulsory two-year service period; instead, qualified volunteers and suitable conscripts from the ranks are designated as reserve officer applicants (Reserve-Offizier-Bewerber--R.O.B.)
    ."

Brunos last letter home.
    I picked up this Death Card and letter at the flee market last year. According to the German War Graves website he was killed in Haguenau and is buried in the War Cemetery in Niederbronn Les Bains in France
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices  

I seem to spend half my life in Graveyards and War Cemeteries as i like to collect photos of war graves etc. This has enabled me to actually visit some of the graves from the death cards that i have in my collection.
    Here are a few recent ones from this year.
    They are taken in Weeze, Münster Lauheide and Beelitz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices  

Here's the one I have. Sonderführer Alois Haderer. Killed by partisans in the East on 20 July 1942. if I read correctly he was 37
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices  

?

Arminius, you are very lucky to be able to pay your respects this way. Must be quite the experience

Laurence, a nice card

Thanks Bill

It doesn´t happen very often but to finally put a face and a bit of history to the name on the grave stone, is quite satisfying

?

So I gather you can read the German language.. Can you help me identify some writings on photos ??

Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 ... LastLast