Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Questionable photo for sale here?

Article about: This photo being sold on our e-stand looks like one of those "classified Russian archives" photos you see from ebay, which are just fakes. The Russian stamp, and over done writing

Default Questionable photo for sale here?

This photo being sold on our e-stand looks like one of those "classified Russian archives" photos you see from ebay, which are just fakes. The Russian stamp, and over done writing on the back of these I believe are telling signs of this type of fake made to make them look official and to deceive potential buyers.

I'm willing to stand corrected on this, but I wanted to bring it up should my memory serve me well here.

Original photo Panzer Ferdinand Elefant with tank crew WW2 Wehrmacht - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics

Photos from the sales thread:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questionable photo for sale here?
    P
    Many

Here's another photo from the forum search engine with the same stamping and writing on the back, which is also a Ukraine "archive" fake. Sorry RKKAFan, I don't think your photo is original.

SS photo

?

They really shouldn't use well known photos.

Ferdinand number 133 of the 1/653 Schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung, August 1943 eastern front. Commander: Fw. Heinz Rempel.

Good catch Duska! They have high res images saved of lots of these images. Another sign I believe would make this one questionable is how dark and overdone the contrast is. Photo collectors have to stay really vigilant as it's too easy to fake a photo and cash in.

Sorry again to be the bearer of bad news for the seller here. Most of these fakes I've seen like this one tend to light up bright blue on the backs under a blacklight, instead of a more deep and subdued purple hue. That's not a conclusive test in all cases because even that can be faked, but if they glow bright blue like that you know they're bad.

MAP
    ?

Nice catch! Still a striking photo if sold as a repro.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I have already commented on the For sale thread that this is a fake , it is one of those from the Ukraine that has been circulating for many years , the reason i have left it on there with my fake comment is the price is only 8 dollars !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings