Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran

Article about: Hi Monuir that would be great, thanks for the offer. Can discuss over PM if you would like. If she accepts paypal then that will work

?

Default Re: Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran

Hi Monuir that would be great, thanks for the offer. Can discuss over PM if you would like. If she accepts paypal then that will work

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran
    P
    Many

?

Hello all,

Here is the translation of the letter. Kudos to Monuir for arranging the translation! You deserve a nice cold beer my friend

Ps - The 'G' refers to Gdynia in Poland. A lady who has access to the Kormoran's log was able to tell me that

At sea, 19.10.40
    My dear Ruth!

We have been on our march East for nearly 30 hours now, heading towards the sun; literally, as although there was wind we had sunny weather on both days. We will arrive at our destination at midday today. –

When we said goodbye the day before yesterday, we could not have guessed that the night would be so devoid of air-raid warnings. But it’s always easy to say with hindsight…. As it is, you and our Wolfgang had a peaceful night; that is, I hope the rascal let his Mummy sleep.

Understandably I had a lot to do on the first day. But now everything is starting to take shape, and one can organise one’s time. I keep taking pleasure in the large spacious chamber I live in. The pictures all have their rightful places now. Two are still reserved for Mummy and the young master, my son, named Wolfgang (i.e. lubäsaluer[i]).

I am looking forward to the East once again, have not been there for a long time; and apparently there is light there even at night. Now it is half past eleven, midday break, the radio goes on immediately. My ‘Herbert Ernst Groh’ is singing. Nice and cosy for writing to Mummy!

Well, are things really so lonesome and forlorn for you? I almost cannot believe it; surely Wolfgang will make sure to be a diversion for his Mummy. Has his sore bottom got better yet?

As for official business, I can tell you that the bills went to Wilhelmshaven on Thursday. One hopes that the whole matter will be authorised within 8-10 days. The coal bill has been paid, too; it will be deducted from wages in instalments of 15RM. Now I hope that you will be able to cope quite well with everything; then I, too, will be quite relieved.

I will have a little look around in G. to see if I can find something lovely for you. Maybe Frau Bestmann has my clothing book[ii], so I can still get it.

Next week I will answer all the messages of congratulation on Wolfgang’s birth which you sent along with me.

Well, dear Huplein[iii], be a good girl, and when you are feeling lonely always remember that you are in my heart, and that I definitely think about you and the little one just as often. How could it be any other way? And basically, be happy; you have a little chap around you who is part of both of us, and belongs to both of us. Remember that many people have not been so lucky. But please do not take this as an accusation, as I can understand you oh so well; nevertheless I would be happier if it did not hit you so very hard. Huplein?

So, to conclude. I wish you a few more beautiful autumn days, to Wolfgang a healthy bottom, and to you much variety. Did you talk to Father about the question of a telephone connection?

Now greetings and sincere kisses, also to my Wolfgang, from

Your dear

Heinz

Also best wishes to our parents and ‘Sister Berta’.

Glad to see you got it translated. Thanks for posting. Very cool!

Luke

?

No worries mate, glad to share

?

wow that was one of the best feldpost letters I've read! Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2