Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...

Article about: A WWI-related book once belonging to the young Claus von Stauffenberg, along with a photo of a younger Claus in happier times...At some point the book belonged to Fabian von Saucken, as indi

Default Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...

A WWI-related book once belonging to the young Claus von Stauffenberg, along with a pre-war photo of Claus in happier times...At some point the book belonged to Fabian von Saucken, as indicated by the property stamp...Both noble families had estates in Jettingen, and we can be certain that Claus and Fabian would have interacted with eachother...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...   Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...  

Attached Images Attached Images Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...  Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...  Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...  Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph... 
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 06-06-2015 at 07:53 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare Stauffenberg-signed book and Photograph...
    P
    Many

how can you put a price on something like this Glenn.fabulous.

Looking around at the various Stauffenberg signatures that have sold recently, it is difficult, as you say, to figure a value. One card with his sig sold a good while ago at Stargardt Autographenhandel in Berlin and was asking 1200 E but ended up selling for a horrendous 22,000 E. While a signed postcard of Von Stauffenberg sold last September on an R&R Auction for $6,300. A signed document sold a decade ago in a Cohasco sale for $2500.
    Stauffenberg autographs are among the top of the lists of most wanted TR autographs and rarely come onto the market. Keep in mind too, that Stauffenberg signatures come in both Right Handed and Left Handed versions, due to his wounds. The signature in the book you have very little resemble the later Left handed versions. So, are the early right handed's more valuable? It's all in the eyes of the collector wanting it, I suppose, but either way, it seems that your book is worth 4 figures at the very least and could well be more under the right circumstances. You May want to consider having it insured under your household contents insurance....
    (And, yes, of course...the CvS sigs are Heavily forged, so you may also wish to look into a forensic authentication exam of it just for the paperwork, which is always good to have.)
    A Very nice find, in any case! Well done!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A signed photo of Stauffenberg from ANY period is a very rare item indeed. Several documents have been sold in the past few years, including a few forgeries, and they're going for about $15,000 or so. I'd put your photo, possibly the earliest example out there, but obviously not war-date, at conservatively $10-15,000.

?

Wonderful. That is a fantastic addition Glenn, very pleased for you - and always good to see something special in the hands of one who appreciates such things.

Thank you all for your kind words...Definitely a highlight for my collection, and I feel incredibly honored to have been entrusted with these artifacts...Incidentally, the Ludwig-Maximillian University in Munich is the same school where Hans & Sophie Scholl were arrested with their leaflets...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 10-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Wonderful. That is a fantastic addition Glenn, very pleased for you - and always good to see something special in the hands of one who appreciates such things.
    I associate myself with the above.

We rejoice in your good fortune and fine taste.