Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis

Article about: Hi, After seeing all the interesting Ausweise posted here, I've decided to post one or two of my own. This is an Id example dated 5/7/1934 from the early Deutscher Frauenarbeitsdienst, a for

Historiker
    ?

Default Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis

Hi,

After seeing all the interesting Ausweise posted here, I've decided to post one or two of my own. This is an Id example dated 5/7/1934 from the early Deutscher Frauenarbeitsdienst, a forerunner of the RADwJ. As the square-bladed spade logo indicates, the organization was part of the voluntary labor service, well before service became compulsory for young women. The bearer of this Ausweis, a 22 year old student from Mannheim, assisted in a settlement program for German agricultural families in Pomerania. It was acquired from Emily Caldwell Stewart, noted III. Reich Id expert and author of several books on German military and civilan identity documents from that period. This is the only example of this Ausweis I've come across in years of collecting.

Best,
    Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis   Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis  

Last edited by Historiker; 10-06-2008 at 02:50 PM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis

Hi Bill,

Very very nice ausweis indeed! like you, I have a strong interest in ausweises and try collecting as many as possible.

Neil.

Historiker
    ?

Default Re: Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis

Here is some background o nthe IDs I am currently sharing. The Voluntary Labor Service (Arbeitsdienst) was born in an emergency decree issued by the German Government on June 5, 1931 as a means to mitigate the soaring unemployment that Germany was experiencing as a result of the Depression. A second decree dated July 16, 1932 reformed this Labor Service in fundamental ways and was followed by a series of regulatory circulars issued by the Reichskommisar for Labor Exchange and Unemployment Insurance creating the necessary regulations. A Circular on November 10, 1932 established regulations governing Voluntary Labor Service Organizations for women. On the basis of these regulations, the NSDAP established tthe Deutscher Frauenarbeitsdienst in February of
    1933. It wasn't until April of 1936, however, following the promulgation of the Reich Labor Service Law on June 26, 1935, that the Frauenarbeitsdienst officially became the RADwJ. Both of these documents date from the Deutscher Frauenarbeitsdienst period when Arbeitsdienst service for women was still voluntary.

The Ausweis posted above is an actual identity document issued while the young woman was in the Frauenarbeitsdienst. The example below, however, is a certificate, issued following service completion. These became very important, as from June of 1933 any young woman wishing to enter university had to have previously served 6 months in the Arbeitsdienst. This certificate established that service.

My example was issued to Anna Hartkäse and indicates she did her Arbeitsdienst service from October 31, 1933 to May 1, 1934. Her conduct was good and she was found suitable for domestic work. She served in Doberstau in Saxony. The cover design reads "Service to your Volk enobles you" and displays the Frauenarbeitsdienst logo. Anna appears to be wearing a BDM uniform in the photo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis   Rare and very early RADwJ Ausweis  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.