Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reich Chancellery letter

Article about: Now here's an interesting little find I'm considering. This is supposed to be a letter sent to a woman from the Reich Chancellery. I can only imagine how easy this sort of thing would be to

That's good info. I always assumed the yellowing was due to acidity in the materials of the paper. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to know old documents can still look white like this!

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Never overly concern yourself with an absence of yellowing present on a paper item if it appears of a high standard - such as one would expect from such a source.

Please read below:

The colouration of old paper items

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reich Chancellery letter
    P
    Many

I decided to pick this up. Just got it today, and this is the most interesting document I've picked up. The NSDAP logo is gorgeously embossed in the paper, as is the black untyped text up top (below the logo and above the recipients name), which is glossy black embossed lettering of some sort. Inside the envelope is a dark gray piece of tissue that goes in front of the document, and the back of the envelope inside, is printed gray. I imagine this is to keep prying eyes from trying to read through the envelope. So very well made, the paper does have a little yellow tint to it, and the smell is of old paper. Everything strikes me as authentic now that I have it in hand, and is something I would imagine isn't seen often. Such a cool piece of history I'm glad I pulled the trigger on. Really pleased with this one.

I don't know why Frau Krall was asking for the release of her husband, but if I'm reading the translation right, and he was in one of their political prisons and they are denying his release, it makes you wonder how it ended for him.

Here are some in hand photos showing what I've mentioned:

Reich Chancellery letter

Reich Chancellery letter

Reich Chancellery letter

Reich Chancellery letter

Reich Chancellery letter

Reich Chancellery letter

Default Reichskanzlei paper

The letter shown on this thread looks perfectly fine to me as does the envelope. The letter head matches perfectly one in my collection which I know to be real as I was lucky enough to acquire it from the British Major who liberated it and a number of other bits and pieces during his time in Berlin.
    My letter is mint and appears to be a standard letter which was never used/signed and must have sat on a pile awaiting use. I will post a thread soon showing all the items I picked up from this Officer. He was a strange little man and even had a Hitler moustache and combed over hair. He contacted my father to say he had a load of Hitler stuff from his Reichskanzlei, and I dismissed it out of hand as you do when your 17, but a short time late I acquired the lot...... how pleased I was to be wrong!!
    All the best from Jersey,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reich Chancellery letter  

Very cool! Did you ever translate it?

This is very nice, I have a few pieces of stationary from the Chancellery and I'm certain this piece is fine. I can't comment on the text in the letter but the stationary itself is authentic.

Many years ago I did but I have long since forgotten what it says. The beauty is that that is the easy part and can be done, but if I had not met the Major all the kit I got would have been lost as when he died the whole place was cleared and a lot of other "non German stuff" was dumped.
    D

Awesome Find Scott !! The content of the letter is the end of the road for the person being held..."laughably" in protective custody...there was no protection..nor any trace of them ever again. Once arrested always arrested. I know Sandgroper Dave would love to have this for his Berlin Collection Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I know Sandgroper Dave would love to have this for his Berlin Collection Regards Larry
    You are not wrong there mate, I'd love this or anything like it!! If any of you gents feel like parting with anything from the Chancellery please PM me.

Quote by avenger View Post
    I don't know why Frau Krall was asking for the release of her husband, but if I'm reading the translation right, and he was in one of their political prisons and they are denying his release, it makes you wonder how it ended for him.
    Worse than simply a prison. We're talking about a camp here.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    My letter is mint and appears to be a standard letter which was never used/signed and must have sat on a pile awaiting use.
    Quote by avenger View Post
    Very cool! Did you ever translate it?

This is a pre-typed standard letter that was to be sent by the Führer's chancellery to local party offices as part of the paperwork connected to families' applications for Hitler taking honorary sponsorship of a child [Ehrenpatenschaft].

The head of state taking such Ehrenpatenschaften for children of large families has a long tradition in Germany. The practice had existed before Hitler came to power and exists still. These days, families can apply to the Bundespräsident for honorary sponsorship of their seventh child. If I recall correctly, in the Third Reich, it was for the seventh son or the tenth child.

The letter says:

"RE: Application for honorary sponsorship dated
    by

In order to undertake the further proceedings, I request information on whether and with which entry date the child's father is a member of the NSDAP as well as under which membership number.
    Furthermore, I require comments on the reputation and conduct of the familiy members as well as a medical evaluation by the responsible
    Amt für Volksgesundheit* of the NSDAP about the familiy's Erbgesundheit**.
    I request immediate handling to be cared for."

*) The Ämter für Volksgesundheit [roughly "offices for the health of the people"] were party agencies that existed on Kreis- and Gau level throughout the country. They were to ensure "racial purity" and "improvement" of the population along the lines of Nazi ideology. In order to do so, they were to survey and evaluate the membership of Nazi organizations in particular and the overall population in general. Their duties overlapped with somewhat with those of the public health offices, which resulted in competition and rivalry.

**) The concept of Erbgesundheit [roughly "hereditary health"] was about being free of hereditary diseases and certain other mental of physical impairments. Annullation of weddings, forced sterilization etc. were the well-known consequences of its enforcement.

HPL2008, I'm not well researched on the subject, so this may be a silly question. When you say camp, do you mean a political prisoner camp (if there was such a thing) or a concentration camp? Also, how were you able to tell from the letter?

Thanks for your insight. You always reveal secrets from these documents I didn't see, which makes it all the more exciting and interesting!

Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast