Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The road less traveled... SS document grouping for review

Article about: Hello all, I purchased this grouping last year, and it remains one of my most prize possessions. I have no doubt as to its authenticity (although I welcome any and all feedback) and the firs

Ok, so explain to me this stamp as pertains to the final destination of said file?The road less traveled... SS document grouping for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The road less traveled... SS document grouping for review
    P
    Many

"This is also the reason why researchers and historians shouldn't believe that everything available to them from archives gives them all the facts and data they write about.
    Some reside in families since 1944-1945, like mine."

I am confused by this statement. Why don't you provide us with a concrete example instead of this generalization?

And, what exactly are your bona fides that you can generalize in this way?

Are you a professionally trained historian, researcher with an institutional affiliation, or an archivist with an institution or what....?

Historians and researchers with whom I am familiar generally seek the personal papers of historical figures in private hands, which may or may not be accessible, so the statement above is misleading if you wish to suggest that, somehow, historians and researchers are deficient in their skills.

The square of card cut from the front cover is highly suspicious, and for does suggest a stamp from a library of some sort has been removed. What else could be the reason, a coffee stain?

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    "This is also the reason why researchers and historians shouldn't believe that everything available to them from archives gives them all the facts and data they write about.
    Some reside in families since 1944-1945, like mine."

I am confused by this statement. Why don't you provide us with a concrete example instead of this generalization?

And, what exactly are your bona fides that you can generalize in this way?

Are you a professionally trained historian, researcher with an institutional affiliation, or an archivist with an institution or what....?
    Guten Abend Friedrich-Berthold,

Yes i can say so, i work with archives since 10 years and even wrote my PhD work by using the german, french and the american NARA archives.
    This doesn't mean that i have went through every single document in every archive though, obviously.
    But i also worked together with the IFZ and had one of their people visit me and help me with some documentary work, and he also found many of them having "new to him" information as well as "interesting but unimportant details".
    I plan on posting some Wewelsburg related documents from my family that don't exist in any archive, right now i'm trying to get smart about the safest way of watermarking these documents because as you and me both know, anything Wewelsburg related is forged and sold as originals all the time, in this forum we see this too, like books with a Wewelsburg stamp and other fakes.
    If you have any good advice on watermarking that prevents people from copying stamps and other details, feel free to send me a message.
    And if you are interested in any specific topic and wonder if i have documents regarding that topic, feel free to send me a message as well and i will either post or send you some documents so you have some examples.

Kind regards und damit noch nicht basta,

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Historians and researchers with whom I am familiar generally seek the personal papers of historical figures in private hands, which may or may not be accessible, so the statement above is misleading if you wish to suggest that, somehow, historians and researchers are deficient in their skills.
    Ah, just saw this post only after i posted the above one.
    I have no idea how you could assume i was implying something like this about historians and researchers, but know that this wasn't my intention, what i was trying to say is that i have the opposite experience of yours. My family has been contacted by researchers nad historians and even journalists from the 1960s until today regarding information or requesting an interview with my granduncle who has died a couple of years ago, now most request come directly to me.
    My experience is, that many of the historians i have conversed with always seem to assume in their works that "....other documents relating to .... have probably been destroyed."
    I'm sure you're aware of the story a la "they burned all the documents before the (insert country) army arrived." etc. which usually are just assumptions of historians and researchers, and that what i was trying to point out in order to get more historians and researchers drop this idea and maybe work together with more families.

Kind regards

Thanks for the clarification. Good luck with your research. I have worked with archives on two continents for more than forty years, ergo my comment. I got my advanced degrees to include PhD in the period 1975-85 and have worked professionally in the field since 1975 with the granting of advanced degrees and so forth.
    Sources from the epoch and earlier are being uncovered by research constantly, and Nachlaesse and family possessions are naturally an important factor.
    Whatever remnants of the SS in whatever form should be preserved and made available for research. The thefts from the Berlin Document Center
    are infamous.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-11-2017 at 06:16 PM.

?

I guess i just had bad experiences with researchers and historians then, i'm always looking for historians, researchers, hobby and serious who can make use of my inherited items. Though there seems to be a lack of historians and authors interested in the Ahnenerbe, of which most of my private inheritance is, though the Ahnenerbe is one of the topics that needs a lot more research and writings in myoinion.
    I'm also not interested in money nor selling anything, just want to make use of it and help interested people out.
    Regarding the BDC theft, i agree, is there a list somewhere of what has been stolen? This would be very helpful to avoid anyone buying stolen goods as well as for people like the thread starter so everyone can avoid assumptions whether the document is from the BDC theft or not. Whoever got them will obviously try to sell one by one on different platforms and pauses to not garner suspicion, which makes it even scarier since these documents should return to their rightful place instead of being scattered all around the world

Quote by Komoto View Post
    I guess i just had bad experiences with researchers and historians then, i'm always looking for historians, researchers, hobby and serious who can make use of my inherited items. I'm also not interested in money, just want to make use of it.
    Regarding the BDC theft, i agree, is there a list somewhere of what has been stolen? This would be very helpful to avoid anyone buying stolen goods as well as for people like the thread starter so everyone can avoid assumptions whether the document is from the BDC theft or not. Whoever got them will obviously try to sell one by one on different platforms and pauses to not garner suspicion, which makes it even scarier since these documents should return to their rightful place instead of being scattered all around the world
    Thanks and good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2